It worked and now it doesn't

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
PapaMarkieG

It worked and now it doesn't

Post by PapaMarkieG »

Hi folks,

Downloaded a trial version of it because Win Explorer has not worked properly since Update 1903.

First time I downloaded and ran it, worked fine.

Rebooted computer for a different reason and now it doesn't stay open, closes, crashed.

Before I buy it, need to know it is going to work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

FKF5482

Re: It worked and now it doesn't

Post by FKF5482 »

Hello there, try adding xyplorer to the whitelist of your antivirus.

add the following files to the exceptions:

1) XYplorer.exe
2) XYcopy.exe

You can also try to reinstall the application and see if it helps.

You can try the portable version just to double check as well.

btw, are you using the latest version? 20.50.0100 is the latest version.

From what i've seen in the forums, adobe reader is not playing well with xyplorer and causes various problems. I don't use adobe reader, i prefer foxit reader, so i cant tell you much more about it.

I hope you manage to make it work, xyplorer worths every penny :)

PapaMarkieG

Post by PapaMarkieG »

Thanks for the suggestion. Using McAfee LiveSafe. Added those two files to the white list. Still crashed after opening.

Funny you mention Adobe.

I have an Acrobat DC subscription. Was working fine until Windows 1903 update (oh how I hate that update). Still trying to get that to work. Using Reader and not having any problems.

FKF5482

Post by FKF5482 »

The following steps solved a few of problems i had with some applications in the past.

A) Go to windows security -> App & Browser Control -> Exploit Protection.
B) Disable everything and restart the computer.
C) Run Xyplorer and see if its crashing.

If it's working properly, enable everything you disabled previously and go to:

Windows security -> App & Browser Control -> Exploit Protection -> Exploit Protection Settings (at the bottom) -> Program Settings -> Press the + button and add xyplorer.

Start overriding settings one by one until you find which one is causing problems with xyplorer.

Hopefully this will do the trick.

Thank God i have updates disabled lol

PapaMarkieG

Post by PapaMarkieG »

It took me 10 days to recover from that update. File Explorer, Acrobat, Chrome, and especially Outlook weren't working correctly. I was online with support using LogMeIn Rescue ...

Best Buy Geek Squad (worthless) 10 hours
Microsoft Assure Support (so-so, they couldn't figure out how to fix Outlook and it came to me while sleeping and worked. Convoluted, but it works, nothing lost) 14 hours
Google support - 6 hours

Thought I had File Explorer fixed ... was working for a few days ... and then stopped. Need to get some work done so that is why I've been searching for an alternative.

Made all the changes in Windows Security ... rebooting now ...

PapaMarkieG

Post by PapaMarkieG »

Grrr .... even after making the changes in Windows Security, still crashing after rebooting.

Grrr ...

FKF5482

Post by FKF5482 »

Sad to hear that my friend.

If windows explorer, outlook, chrome and now xyplorer are not working properly seems that the windows update messed up your windows installation in a serious way. The only thing left at this point is a system restore or a reinstall of windows and delay windows updates until they are ironed out. Make sure to backup all your important files first of course.

If you want my opinion, after you have windows running up again, don't store any important files on drive C again (assuming you re having windows installed there ) cause when windows go down after an update or something and system restore is not working you risk losing your important files etc.

Store every important file on a secondary drive and use a backup program like macrium reflect to backup your windows installation and restore it in minutes.

Not the answer you wanted to hear im afraid. :cry:

PapaMarkieG

Post by PapaMarkieG »

In June 2006, I lost a lot of data because I did not have adequate backup.

Now, all of my data files are stored via Dropbox with the service that allows retrieving even replaced or deleted files for 30 or more days.

I have 2 local backups ... to two different drives and in two different formats.

I have told Win update to pause them. Can't find a way to turn them off completely so my morning routine is to go into that section and just increase the delay process.

I do believe the problems with so many apps is a result of the Win update. But then again, maybe I do want the next update because I know I am not the only one with these issues. My system is not that unique or convoluted. Just my brain is.

I think I'm going to go back to the system of paper and pencil. Only time I had a problem this serious then was when the dog ate my homework.

Be well!

FKF5482

Post by FKF5482 »

I see.

Thanks, you too!

1024mb

Post by 1024mb »

This is the best title in history.