Comment as sort field

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Donpascual

Comment as sort field

Post by Donpascual »

The actual release evidently does some damage to the behaviour of the comment field:

I was used to write comments to files in the normal sort order by file names leaving empty rows where nothing had to be commented. They would not actively change their position. Now, they do! They become the primary sort field and sort in order of their first text letters pulling the files they belongs to with them. That leads to a completely new sort order: all comment field move to the top of the file list (of course the files themselves too). In order to keep the original sort list (by file names) I have to manipulate the beginning of the comment to follow the same sort order as the file name, that sucks!
I begin to wonder whether my version of XYplorer is damaged. Has someone experienced that too?

Have a nice rest-sunday
Don

admin
Site Admin

Re: Comment as sort field

Post by admin »

Nothing was changed in this regard so I'm not sure I understand. Please explain again.

PS: Maybe it has to do with the new checkboxes here?
Configuration | Information | Tags | Toggle tags by column click

Donpascual

Post by Donpascual »

Lets say you have 10 files within a folder, sorted by file names in the left hand column. You decide to write a comment for files 4 and 6.
These comments did not change the sort order, they would stay in position 4 and position 6 with their corresponding files up till recently.
Now, they will jump to position 1 and 2 of the 10 files, sorting by the first letter of the comment text :veryconfused: .
In other words, the way files are sorted is now determined by the text in the comment field and all comments + files go to the top of the file list. If there are only two comments for 2 of the 10 files, they will bunch with the files they were written for on top of the list.

Doesn't make much sense, does it???
Don

highend

Post by highend »

I'm not getting it. Why don't you click on the name column header again to use that as the primary sort field?
All columns work like this, their content defines their sort order, either ascending or descending...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Donpascual wrote: 29 Oct 2019 17:50 Lets say you have 10 files within a folder, sorted by file names in the left hand column. You decide to write a comment for files 4 and 6.
These comments did not change the sort order, they would stay in position 4 and position 6 with their corresponding files up till recently.
Now, they will jump to position 1 and 2 of the 10 files, sorting by the first letter of the comment text :veryconfused: .
In other words, the way files are sorted is now determined by the text in the comment field and all comments + files go to the top of the file list. If there are only two comments for 2 of the 10 files, they will bunch with the files they were written for on top of the list.
I don't get it. The list is sorted by comments although it is sorted by file names??? :veryconfused:
Could you post a screenshot?

Donpascual

Post by Donpascual »

Hi Guys,
a appreciate your efforts to help me. I was not aware that klicking on any colum header determines the sort order of the files. I tried it on one of my mixed up file folders and klicked on the file name header. The files now sorted with the comments keeping the same order as the file names.
Obviously I had klicked on the comment field header and thus altered the sort order. It shows that XYplorer is a rather complex program which I am using with enthusiasm for years now. That does not mean that I am an expert just by long usage. It feels good to get help when needed. Thank's again.

Best regards Don