Audio only in video previews

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
zongbird

Audio only in video previews

Post by zongbird »

I installed XYplorer 20.20 a couple of weeks ago on my Windows 10 64-bit PC and got video previews working by installing LAVFilters.

Today I only get audio when I click on video files. The preview pane just remains blank, not even a video thumbnail; the floating preview does show the thumbnail, but no preview.

So far I've tried:

- restarting Windows
- uninstalling and reinstalling LAVFilters
- uninstalling and reinstalling XYplorer
- upgrading to XYplorer 20.30

The problem persists. Ideas?

highend

Re: Audio only in video previews

Post by highend »

Does a fresh XY instance show them (fresh; in the address bar, {ENTER})?

Which video file, extension, container format?
uninstalling and reinstalling LAVFilters
Which version, which bitness, which part (if batch files are used)?

I have no problems with v0.74.1 on 20.20
for .mkv, .mp4, .flv nor .avi
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

zongbird

Post by zongbird »

Well, whaddaya know. I tried fresh; and it works in the new window that opens up but not in the existing window. And it doesn't seem to persist across XYplorer restarts.

To answer your other questions,
  • I installed both 32- and 64-bit LAVFilter 0.74 through the installer (batch files didn't work).
  • Video previews don't work for any format (I tried AVI, MP4, MKV)

zongbird

Post by zongbird »

Bump.

The problem briefly disappeared after I applied the Windows 10 1903 update, but it's back. All I did was disable and re-enable the preview pane.

This is pretty lame.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Well, you should probably read up on what fresh; actually does - it clearly is not meant to persist between restarts nor does it keep your settings, it creates a new fresh instance of XY with vanilla factory defaults applied.

So, if your problem exists with your config but not in fresh then the hunt for what setting (that - most probably - you changed along the way) is responsible for the difference in behavior.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

zongbird

Post by zongbird »

I do know how fresh; works. I copied over the config file from the "fresh" folder and it still doesn't work.

I'm 99.99999% sure this is a bug in XYplorer (it does seem to be chock full of them judging by the posts in this forum) and not a config issue or a LAVFilter issue because:

- it works in fresh;
- it was not working and started working after the Windows 10 1903 upgrade, with no config changes
- it stopped working after I disabled the preview pane and re-enabled it
- the audio works

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You know, we are glad to help, but only you can find out the difference between the working configuration and the other one. Moaning is just a waste of time.