Freezes when searching in large files

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
tedy

Freezes when searching in large files

Post by tedy »

XY freezes between files when using Find in Files to search in large (text in my case) files. Some files are few hundred MB. When searching a file, everything (UI) freezes for minutes and XY is unusable.
Is there a way to make XY refresh the UI and its events queue during searching in a given file? The search function like this is barely usable unless you search in bunch of kilobyte files.
In this case I search among *.* (but only text files in the dir) and 10-symbol Contents content.

P.S. Almost totally unusable - I search in about 10GB worth of text files for a string, and for about half an hour XY is frozen! The files are on a SSD and just copied and the SSD is barely loaded.
P.S.2. There maybe something wrong with the search function.. I managed to cancel the search without killing the process. I was using Normal search. Then I used agent ransack for the search and it finished searching in just few seconds.

nas8e9

Re: Freezes when searching in large files

Post by nas8e9 »

Are these large files located in a folder indexed by Windows Search?

highend

Post by highend »

Can't reproduce...

50 files a 64 MB each (in total 3,12 GB) in a ram disk. Searching for:
dummy text

took 118,5 ms
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

tedy

Post by tedy »

I think I found something.
The files are all CSV files. Searching in one 60MB file for a 10-symbol string takes half a minute. Renaming files from CSV to TXT causes the search to finish in couple seconds!
No, Windows Search is disabled for my drives.
For some reason seaching in CSV files is ridiculously slow. Not sure if the extension (file type) causes it or the format itself.
The test folder I used now is 300MB with several files and they are in fact cached long ago in RAM so even faster than a ramdisk.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Confirmed. The reason is that CSV is listed under Office files in Configuration | Preview | Previewed Formats. Fix on the way...

tedy

Post by tedy »

I see. But why and how this affects the big difference in searching speed? I guess searching in office files (or other categories except text files) involves some system components.
I don't seem to be able to remove predefined extensions from a category in Preview settings. Maybe if we could do this manually (apart from being able to just Add... new exts), it could have been more flexible. Maybe some people could want to treat some (predefined in app) non-text files as text.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's already fixed in the current beta. Official release planned for today.