XYplorer got tagged as malware by Malwarebytes

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
admin
Site Admin

Re: XYplorer got tagged as malware by Malwarebytes

Post by admin »

Did the update happen in the meantime?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Apparently not yet. Wow, this the worst performance ever of an AV software. I wonder why anybody is using it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think they have fixed it now.

SoCalSienna

Post by SoCalSienna »

Hi, I started this thread yesterday, and the issue is now resolved for me.

Here is a recap:

XYplorer never had malware.
XYplorer is a stunningly well done product that I rely on daily. Worth every penny. Everyone should buy it.

Malwarebytes is also a product I like.

Stuff I'll do differently if this happens again: Trade libel, commercial disparagement and defamation
  • Apparently there is an active ecosystem in the legal community to help software makers get relief and recover damages from AV makers like Malwarebytes.
  • I'm guessing it's not feasible for small innovators like Don to deal with the legal system. So it's up to us, the users of XYplorer to work the system and snuff out these false positives when they come up.
  • In a connected world with bad people and evolving threats, I feel that occassional false positive warnings are normal and to be expected.
  • It might help if someone published a history of false positives (ie, "Malwarebytes flagged XYplorer as malware XX times in the last 24 months, and 100% of those warnings were later found to be false.") If I saw that, I might have been more comfortable making XYplorer an exclusion while they updated their system.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks! :tup:

RRbitwise

Post by RRbitwise »

I opened a support incident with Malwarebytes yesterday (18 June) and included this text:

"Your are creating a false positive for the XYplorer.exe product and placing the product in the Quarantine. As fast as one selects the "restore" option it immediately gets re-quarantined. My temporary solution has been to add XYplorer.exe where it resides in its installation directory as an "exclusion". This is happening to multiple users world-wide on Windows 7 and Windows 10 systems of all types. This is a recurring problem for you which you seriously need to address!"

The response I received today (19 June) was asking me to run their "Malwarebytes Support Tool" (which is mb-support-1.4.0.615.exe) to collect information about my system and "update" the support ticket. I did as they asked (which I believe is essentially busy-work; the problem is clearly a Malwarebytes issue) and other than getting an automated reply, I've not received any feedback from them.

Creating the Malwarebytes "exclusion" has worked fine on all of my systems (Win 7 and Win 10).

I once again forced a Malwarebytes update and removed the exclusion, but the quarantine immediately reocurred, so the exclusion is back in.

In general, Malwarebytes is a good prodcut, but support is pretty lackluster.

highstream

Post by highstream »

Yesterday, I got the tools reply within minutes and a reply from a user sending me to the thread I posted a little while later. I’ve found false positives of this kind to be very occasional with MBAM.

Update: I just downloaded the latest MBAM update, removed the exclusion and XYplorer ran w/o problem. I've reinstated the exclusion just to be safe.

RRbitwise

Post by RRbitwise »

I shutdown and restarted Malwarebytes with the exclusion removed and all is OK now.

As I stated earlier, I've found Malwarebytes to be a good product in general. It's unfortunate that the false positive for XYplorer reoccurs from time to time and their support folks seem to be clueless about it.

highstream

Post by highstream »

Hmm...This is the first time for me with XYplorer and MBAM (or any anti-malware program that I recall). I've been using XYplorer since 2010 and MBAM paid since 2014 - Comodo paid and AVG before that - plus Windows Defender and occasional ESET online scans. So this one completely caught me by surprise.

I do agree with the sentiment that if forced to choose between the two, XYplorer stays. Invaluable.
Last edited by highstream on 20 Jun 2019 16:57, edited 2 times in total.

calvin

Post by calvin »

admin wrote: 19 Jun 2019 11:36 Apparently not yet. Wow, this the worst performance ever of an AV software. I wonder why anybody is using it.
MBAM comes highly recommended by Carey Holzman and has historically performed very well for me.

I would, however, give up on MBAM LONG before abandoning XYplorer...if it came to that.

Thankfully, it appears that MBAM has eliminated the false positive because today I am able to run both MBAM with "Malware Protection: On" and XYplorer.exe with no problems.

The idea of a future without XYplorer is unacceptable. 8)
Thanks to everyone for all the feedback.
calvin