rare cut/copy quirk

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
autocart

rare cut/copy quirk

Post by autocart »

Hi Don,

This is nor really a bug per se, but maybe you want to think about solving it anyway:

If
A) files/folders are cut or copied to clipboard and then
B) a part of those source files/folders is deleted before pasting and then
C) the files/folders (whos info is in the clipboard but part of them does not exist anymore) is pasted
Then
one or more "Copying failed - Item not found" error messages pop up. (It could even happen that a "Name collision - file already exists" message pops up in the even rarer case that a file was copied, pasted in the same location, thus the pasted file autorenamed, then these 2 files where copied to clipboard again, the autorenamed file was deleted and then the clipboard was pasted again.)

Solution:
All that could be solved if any files/folders, which are deleted from the system, where also removed from the clipboard if their information was on the clipboard.

However, I understand if you don't find it worth fixing, because it is a rare thing and might need more cpu usage, so the ratio of cost/benefit might be too bad for it to be a default behaviour.
Besides, I am writing a ahk script right now which - beside other things - can also take care of that issue, in case you don't find it worth fixing. So, its not a big issue, but I wanted to let you know.

Regards, S.

RalphM

Re: rare cut/copy quirk

Post by RalphM »

Wouldn't you want some indication that some of the files you put on the clipboard couldn't be processed as expected?
What if the files were deleted accidentally?

Too much smartness IMO.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

autocart

Post by autocart »

RalphM wrote: 03 Jun 2019 02:57 What if the files were deleted accidentally?
That might be true, good thinking. I knew there was a reason why it might be better to leave it as is.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree, too much smartness. This error is information that could be important for the user.

autocart

Post by autocart »

I now added this option (and more) with an ahk script:
XYAHK_clipboardHelper_and_XYEscToList (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20615)

Regards, S.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks! And yes, it looks "overwhelming and complicated". :biggrin:

autocart

Post by autocart »

I know, that is because it is so powerful. :)