UPDATE: Enable network recycle bin works in WE but not in XY

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
JLoftus

UPDATE: Enable network recycle bin works in WE but not in XY

Post by JLoftus »

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... ork-drives

Using the above post, I enabled the recycle bin on a mapped network drive. After reboot, this works perfectly in Windows Explorer, however even with "Prompt before delete" and "Confirm delete operations" both unchecked, XYplorer still prompts to "Permantently delete".

This is great to have the protection of the recycle bin on mapped drives, and works fine in WE but seems to not work in XY.

EDIT: Seems the Context menu item "Delete" works correctly, however the File menu item "Delete", the delete key, and the delete toolbar button do not behave the same way. So the context menu is using WE's delete, the internal delete functions are not working the same way.

UPDATE: I learned the hard way, that one of the registry keys, the one Don pointed out under Wow6432Node, did NOT apparently get recreated upon a major Windows update (the HKLM and HKCU ones did). So, when I deleted some important files from my network drive, they did not go to the recycle bin but were instead permanently deleted, and this I did not know, because I disable the delete warning in XY settings. (fortunately I had a backup)

After I recreated this key, the network delete worked fine.

This is not a bug, just wanted to note for anyone finding this topic useful, you may need to recreate one or more registry keys if you get a major Windows update.
Last edited by JLoftus on 23 Feb 2022 01:52, edited 1 time in total.

JLoftus

Re: Enable network recycle bin works in WE but not in XY

Post by JLoftus »

Solved using the "Suppress Delete Confirmation Dialog" context menu from the delete button.

This would be good if this button setting honored the main configuration option "Confirm delete operations" ... this seems like a bug maybe.

EDIT: D'oh! This does NOT honor the recycle bin setting that Windows Explorer does. When this option is set, the deleted network item is permanently deleted without confirmation. So this looks like possibly two separate bugs.

To summarize: It appears the only way XY will honor the network recycle bin is to use the context menu item "Delete", which evidently uses the system delete rather than internal.
Attachments
XY_DeleteButtonOptions.jpg
XY_DeleteButtonOptions.jpg (19.9 KiB) Viewed 1365 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You probably have to care for this key as well (Wow6432Node):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

That worked, thanks Don! :cup:

JLoftus

Re: UPDATE: Enable network recycle bin works in WE but not in XY

Post by JLoftus »

OP updated with a note for anyone finding this idea useful