Show Folder Sizes and Folder View Settings

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
elqasar2

Show Folder Sizes and Folder View Settings

Post by elqasar2 »

If I save folder settings for a particular folder and then enable Show Folder Sizes while inside that folder, then later on (when Show Folder Sizes is off) when I go into that particular folder, Show Folder Sizes turns on. This is OK I suppose because it appears that the FVS must have saved that setting for that folder. But the problem is that if I then switch to any of my other tabs, or go to any other locations, Show Folder Sizes stays turned on. That is not expected.

If that setting is going to be saved for a particular folder, then surely it should only apply to that folder. Not get turned on globally for everything every time I just visit that particular folder.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Show Folder Sizes and Folder View Settings

Post by admin »

:? Cannot confirm. Seems to work alright here.

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

Enabling the option 'Auto-save changes' is the key to reproducing the bug.

1. Go into a folder.
2. Enable FVS by clicking the FVS toolbar button.
3. Right click the FVS toolbar button, Edit..., and then enable the option 'Auto-save changes', OK.
4. Enable 'Show Folder Sizes'
5. Click on some other tab you have open which is in some other location.

Notice that 'Show Folder Sizes', which was a setting saved into the FVS, is now also enabled in this other tab (and all other tabs too). But other settings that were saved into the FVS, like sort order, etc. are not enabled in this other location.

Basically, visiting another tab directly after you're viewing a FVS location that has saved that setting, causes that setting to spread globally.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Confirmed, there is something murky. But it's more complex, not confined to 'Show Folder Sizes' alone. I think I fixed it (next beta).

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

I've tested 19.50.0237 and I still see the same problem in my normal install. But with fresh it does not happen.

To add to the previous 5 steps, I point out that this happens too in my case in my normal install:
6. On that other tab, turn off 'Show Folder Sizes'
7. Return to the tab with the FVS.
Notice that it is now turned off there too. So the setting is spreading from the FVS tab to the other one, and then from the other one back to the FVS tab.

I agree that there is something murky. Sometimes I also see other things spread to other tabs or locations, like sort order. But I'm not sure how to 100% reproduce those cases. Possibly restoring tabsets and then switching tabs has something to do with it. I'm starting to think using FVS is asking for trouble.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What you describe is correct behavior as advertised.

- Tabs remember their settings
- Active setting changes spread across tabs depending on the settings under Configuration | Colors and Styles | Styles | Remember list settings per tab

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

Not sure about that. But anyway it sounds like your reply is only about the second part of my reply.

What about the first part:

I've tested 19.50.0237 and I still see the same problem in my normal install. But with fresh it does not happen.

I was referring to my original 5 steps, the ones you confirmed seeing too.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Check your setting here, it should be OFF:
Configuration | Colors and Styles | Styles | Apply list styles globally

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

I give up. :roll:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What does that mean? :eh:

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

There are too many inconsistencies and uncertainties around what exactly is saved inside a FVS and what isn't. And what will change/spread when switching tabs and what won't.

I don't want to turn off the setting 'Apply list styles globally' because that is useful everywhere where I'm not using FVS.

The help for FVS actually says that it saves the settings under 'Customize List'. And that is what I would expect.

So to enable a setting inside an auto-saving FVS, click on another tab, have that setting get turned on in the other non-FVS location, then turn it off in the non-FVS location, and then have it take effect back in the FVS location where that setting was supposedly saved into the FVS, makes no sense at all to me.

It's all very messy, inconsistent, confusing, and not as described.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I take that as a "yes". :)

And I say "yes" too: Indeed it seems to make sense to ignore "Apply list styles globally" in the context of an auto-saving FVS.

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

admin wrote: 23 Jan 2019 16:07 I take that as a "yes". :)
:veryconfused: What was the question?
admin wrote: 23 Jan 2019 16:07 it seems to make sense to ignore "Apply list styles globally" in the context of an auto-saving FVS
And when saving an FVS manually. In my mind, and according to what is described, an FVS location, when I'm inside that FVS location, should be a place where I can make changes that only affect that location. It shouldn't spread any of its saved list settings to other normal tabs, and other normal tabs should not spread any of their list settings to an FVS location.
Last edited by elqasar2 on 23 Jan 2019 16:29, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, it was an implied question: viewtopic.php?p=166411#p166411

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

admin wrote: 23 Jan 2019 16:14 Well, it was an implied question: viewtopic.php?p=166411#p166411
Oh, I had already answered that directly, no need to infer anything:
"I don't want to turn off the setting 'Apply list styles globally' because that is useful everywhere where I'm not using FVS."

Note: I've also edited my previous post to add another comment at the end.