Problems with Network Drives

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
VeeGee

Problems with Network Drives

Post by VeeGee »

Good evening all,
I've noticed in the last few betas (currently on v19.50.0200) that my mapped network drives on the Network Drives Group toolbar disappear at random times. Poof. Gone. I haven't pinpointed why or when, they just disappear. I haven't had any other network issues, no disconnects, etc. When missing in XY, the drives are still available on all other apps, e.g. Explorer, Open/Save dialogs, etc. The drives/connections are active because I am saving to them and even have locked/pinned tabs open that point to some network folders.

The drives are mapped via VBScript during Windows startup. Typical share w/name and password.

This is what I can do to make them reappear :
-restart XY, they reappear, or,
-if i double-click a shortcut within XY that points to the mapped drive, Explorer opens up the destination but the mapped drive reappears in the XY toolbar again. Double-clicking the shortcut again in XY opens the destination in XY.
-I tried all the refresh toolbar icons, but none refresh the drives / haven't looked in the manual to see if there is a scripting drive refresh command

In Configuration, I have the following checked :
-Fast network enumeration
-Pre-check availability of servers
-Cache network servers

Any ideas ?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems with Network Drives

Post by admin »

You mean disappear from the tree? (Mini or Maxi tree?)
Or also from "This PC" dropdowns (eg the first dropdown in the Breadcrumb Bar)?

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Good morning,
When the drives disappear, they are gone from the Full/Max Tree (I don't use Mini) and from the "Network Drives Group" toolbar. I didn't check the breadcrumb drop down. Just booted fresh and will continue to work and monitor it today and see if/when it happens. I'll be paying closer attention to see if I can accurately reproduce it and update the post accordingly.

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Good afternoon,
The network drives also disappear after an in-place upgrade, both using CTRL+click to check for updates or the scripting command (update 1+4;).

Here's a screenshot process of it happening. I noticed there was a new beta announced on the site, so I switched over to XY and did the update.

Existing installation - network drives are present
Image-127.png
Image-127.png (5.28 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
Network Settings
Image-128.png
Image-128.png (2.53 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
Click my CTB to get the new beta
Image-129.png
Image-129.png (8.84 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
Update downloaded, applied, XY restarted and the network drives are missing
Image-130.png
Image-130.png (11.38 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
Restart XY and they reappear
Image-131.png
Image-131.png (5.38 KiB) Viewed 2552 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Did you try this?

Tools | Tools Special | Reconnect All Mapped Network Drives

granmiku

Post by granmiku »

Hello, I'm having a similar issue here - the difference is that "network" isn't even displaying in the mini tree. As mentioned by the previous member, the NAS drive is fully available in other apps like my backup program or my audio workstation. As a workaround, I have added a NAS folder in my catalog, so when I select this folder, suddenly "network" shows up in the mini tree ...

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

admin wrote: 19 Jan 2019 22:45 Did you try this?

Tools | Tools Special | Reconnect All Mapped Network Drives
Good evening,
I noticed a new beta today so I was able to follow the same steps as before. After the update, the drives were missing. I tried Tools | Tools Special | Reconnect All Mapped Network Drives as asked/requested and it didn't make any difference, the drives still didn't reappear.

I restarted XY and the drives came back.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Another idea. Try to untick this:
Configuration | General | Refresh, Icons, History | Auto-Refresh | Detect portable devices

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

admin wrote: 21 Jan 2019 18:32 Another idea. Try to untick this:
Configuration | General | Refresh, Icons, History | Auto-Refresh | Detect portable devices
Good afternoon,
Option was checked, I unchecked it and had the same results updating to the latest beta. They reappeared again after restarting XY. These 2 drives are standard-issue mapped UNC drives pointing to my NAS (Synology 1515). They are mapped via VBScript during system bootup, nothing special really about them. They are mapped via IP and share name w/name and password provided (changed in the screenshot).

Here is the mapping snippet of code from my script :
Image-136.png
Image-136.png (25.58 KiB) Viewed 2505 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What if you turn off Auto-Refresh completely?

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

VeeGee wrote: 21 Jan 2019 19:11Here is the mapping snippet of code from my script :
You can paste the relevant code segment and in your post as a codeblock. click the code button in the post editor.
2019-01-22.10-26-17.png
2019-01-22.10-26-17.png (5.71 KiB) Viewed 2494 times
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Good morning all,
A little update to this post. I have corrected my issue with the missing mapped drives after an in-place upgrade. I saw another post about adding user information to the title bar template and that gave me an idea. My template looks like this now :

Code: Select all

<path> - <app> <ver> [<get userrole>]
Here is what my title looked like before applying the update for the latest beta :
Image-135.png
Image-135.png (2.47 KiB) Viewed 2329 times
I ran my CTB to update and this is what it looked like after :
Image-136.png
Image-136.png (3.21 KiB) Viewed 2329 times
Instead of [user], [admin] was listed and my network drive was missing.

HA ! Problem is in my CTB. After checking the scripting manual for the update command I found my problem. I was using :

update 1+4+128;
4 is for "4: run app (as administrator)". On my other machine, I changed it to :

update 1+128;
and updated. After the update, [user] was listed in the title bar and the network drive was there !

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Interesting! So certain network drives are visible to user only, but not to admin?

highend

Post by highend »

So certain network drives are visible to user only, but not to admin?
Probably pretty normal if the token isn't shared

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v "EnableLinkedConnections" /t REG_DWORD /d "0x00000001" /f
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, good to know.