Files are copied instead of moved by Cut/Paste from Search Results

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Millzey

Files are copied instead of moved by Cut/Paste from Search Results

Post by Millzey »

Having a maddening problem.

When performing a cut and paste (ctrl-x and ctrl-v) with Custom Move enabled from selection in search results to a folder in another pane, some or all of the files are copied instead of moved. I have rich copy/move enabled and choose No when the prompt appears.

The most recent time this happened it was intra-volume. I tried disabling background operations and using byte-to-byte verification.

The log file confirms that is is a Custom Move, but shows no helpful information for this problem. It always says "New" for each file/folder, and doesnt display any information about files removed after successful moving (assuming verfication is used).

Over the course of performing this action about 20 times the past hour or so, its occurred at least 50% of the time. Now I've got unknown duplicates all over the place since from whenever this problem may have started.

Please Help

Edit: Running as administrator didnt help. Also determined no correllation between a combination of files/folder intra and cross volume. Tried Dragging to destination folder in other pane, no help. Tried "move to other pane" with destination folder opened in other pane.

File description: XYcopy File version: 2.10.0.133
File description: XYplorer File version: 19.50.0.0
Windows 7 64-bit
Attachments
Untitled2.jpg
Untitled2.jpg (150.24 KiB) Viewed 2176 times
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (77.64 KiB) Viewed 2176 times

admin
Site Admin

Re: Files are copied instead of moved by Cut/Paste from Search Results

Post by admin »

Technically a move is a copy followed by a kill. I assume for those cases/locations you don't have the license to kill.

Millzey

Post by Millzey »

It appears to be totally random. I've been doing the same multi location search and pasting in a selected folder probably a hundred times that past few days.

I just tried to move 4 selected files (choosing no for rich copy), it said it was succesfull, but it didnt remove the sources. They remained existing and selected in the pane with the search results. I tried to move them again, and it said they already existed. So I skipped overwrite. Then I deleted the newly created files in the destination, and did the process again and it moved the files but this time the sources were removed properly.

This happens almost every time and I've got alot of the same file management to repeat. The situation itselft makes me think I've gone somewhat insane, but the fact that most of the time this happens its only a partial part of my selection isnt deleted.

Are you suggesting the user I'm running xyplorer.exe as doesnt have permission to remove some of the moved/copied files? I thought that too but I tried running as administrator too, that would work around that cause right?

Millzey

Post by Millzey »

I make frequent backups of my XYP folder, and have archives I can go back. I could try a previous version to help confirm I'm not crazy, if had an Idea of about how far back I should try in version number.

Millzey

Re: *SOME* Files are copied instead of moved by Cut/Paste from Search Results

Post by Millzey »

I stepped back to 18.90 and tried a half dozen or so moves, and I'm riddled with the same problem.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It only happens with background operations?

Are those files overwriting files in the target destination?

Millzey

Post by Millzey »

Tried with Background processing disabled. I thought it fixed it, then on the 3rd try it left 3 of 9 source files undeleted. I made sure none of the files selected to move existed in the target folder :(

To again confirm the randomness, I re-ran the search making sure the path of the 3 files was indeed still the source (the copies in the target folder now in results too of course), deleted the 3 files from the target folder, selected them in the search results and moved them again. Re-ran the search and this time no sources left. I'm guessing this would elminate some sort of permissions problem. The unremoved sources do still exist because I can drag them to another program, or if I copy them again to the target I get an overwrite prompt, so its not some sort of search results cache problem I guess.

Every time I'm testing a different fix, I'm making sure its a totally different search with different files.

Anything else I can try let me know. My filesystem cleanup is currently postponed :(

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Are those files overwriting files in the target destination?

Millzey

Post by Millzey »

Not sure what you're asking me to confirm, but if any of the files exist in the target and I choose overwrite from the popup asking if I want to overwrite/rename/etc, then yes they overwrite the target just fine. But I can't confirm ones I choose to overwrite are exempt from being unremoved at the source because I normally would rename with suffix in these particular cases.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Does the problem persist if you untick "Safe Overwrite" in the Custom Copy config?

Millzey

Post by Millzey »

Thanks for giving me things to try. But that didnt help. I selected 11 files and 1 folder from search results, and 4 files were not removed. If I go to the action log I can see right away which ones were not removed, from the original items window not having a question mark icon next to the item.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When you look at the Custom Copy Report, do you see any error messages?
Attachments
XYCustomCopyReport.png
XYCustomCopyReport.png (11.98 KiB) Viewed 1913 times

Millzey

Post by Millzey »

No errors. Full report looks normal. Number of files and total bytes moved matches what I have selected. No skipped or overwritten files [Files processed: 7 (7 new, 0 over, 0 skip)].

3 source files not removed

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm slowly running out of ideas.

But here's another one: Can you delete those sources manually?

Millzey

Post by Millzey »

A few more things I just tried in another two dozen or so random searches and moves:

--disabled microsoft security essentials (no other similar software installed)

--tried completely different install (was v19.00.011) from another computer in which the configuration was forked from my usual copy long long long ago, which sort of rules out an xyp config glitch maybe since the problem started long after I put the install on the other computer. If there is a bug though, could you suggest which older version I might try based on when maybe some major changes to xycopy happened or something, and I'll try a fresh install next.

--tried moving selected items to a paper folder and then move to target
--turned off skip verification and safe overwrite
--moved my user temp and windows temp folders back to default location and rebooted (trying anything I can think of at this point)
--tried running some nirsoft tools that display file activity and access errors, opened files or searching for handles by the filenames of those which arent deleted when moving, but I have little knowledge of that I'm looking around for clues for is relevenent
--Tried removing the zone security of the selected files (I also alway remove it for xyplorer.exe and xycopy.exe when I upgrade)

is there any possible way to put a little debut code in a build for me that checks the status of the deletion of a move operation, and perhaps catching a reason it wasnt removed? or some other verbose logging of the move operation? I'm trying to think along the lines of a permissions issue or the file is in use and xyplorer is maybe ignoring the cause

Probably the most important reason I use xyplorer is to maintain created/modification dates when moving files, and if I had to use explorer or teracopy to perform the move I might lose that, along with second most important thing being rich copy/move

If I didnt already mention it, the problem isnt just for files, it frequently will leave an entire folder undeleted (and its contents) I had selected to move