Thumbnails: Corrupt, Damaged or Invalid Video = XY Hang

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Zardoz2293

Thumbnails: Corrupt, Damaged or Invalid Video = XY Hang

Post by Zardoz2293 »

Only in reference to displaying THUMBNAILS:

Should you have a Corrupt, Damaged or Invalid VIDEO, XY will hang or otherwise cause an OLE "switch..." dialog displayed. There is no effective monitoring or rejection of what might be considered unexpected in the file stream. There appears to be 2 parts to this problem.

#1 It appears to be XY seems to load a significant or perhaps scan ALL of the video to generate a thumbnail.

#2 Error handling on whatever "it" sees as invalid causes HUGE (as in 5 minutes to hours processing) where XY is non-responsive inside of its interface (windows does not report app as non-responsive). It is impossible to get XY out of the funk and requires termination in some cases. Pressing ESC does not terminate the thumbnail generation process.

In the case of calling a file corrupt, damaged or invalid these all play without any concerns via WMP and VLC.

This does not happen on all videos.
Computer/Systems Background = Expert | Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit) | Dell Precision 7720

admin
Site Admin

Re: Thumbnails: Corrupt, Damaged or Invalid Video = XY Hang

Post by admin »

The creation of thumbnails is handled by the thumbnail handlers. Whatever they do is out of my control. That said, I never experienced what you describe. Can you point me to one of those corrupt videos?

Generally I recommend using the thumbnails cache to speed up thumbnails.

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

admin wrote: 10 Nov 2018 10:13 The creation of thumbnails is handled by the thumbnail handlers. Whatever they do is out of my control. That said, I never experienced what you describe. Can you point me to one of those corrupt videos?

Generally I recommend using the thumbnails cache to speed up thumbnails.
1. I'll see what I can do about getting you a "corrupt" video and image file for reference.

2. Have you considered an OOP (out-of-process) call where you call the external thumbnail handler with your own callback so you could safely terminate the process if progress isn't made after "n" seconds (end-user defined)? The "default" timeout or whatever is going on is extensive and disruptive especially if there is more than one offending thumbnail generation glitch. XY termination is the only solution as XY's internal interface becomes "locked". If XY's internal interface was still functional I would not care if there was offending files that took minutes to hours to process (but would like to have a report indicating suspect files from how long it took to generate each thumbnail as it is outside of the norm.)

3. Having an OOP for thumbnail processing would free up being able to use XY's internal interface and not have it locked down. I do use the thumbnail caching, but on a large image folder and if it 'hangs' I can only wait so long before I must get back to being productive and terminating XY -- touching that folder in the future, again, starts the whole thing again. It's a catch-22 and a problem when dealing with many files, 500,000+ image and video files (not at a time, but in aggregate).

Thank you
Computer/Systems Background = Expert | Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit) | Dell Precision 7720

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, that is an option. Actually it's on my list for quite a while. One day...