Will not set as default file manager

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
mariovalerio

Re: Will not set as default file manager

Post by mariovalerio »

I have found out cause of this problem. It's Kerish Doctor, actually a very good application for computer optimization.
I guess the app resets the registry key to the standard, i.e. to Windows Explorer, at ever rebooting. Anyway it is definitively this application the cause of the problem; I have tested this many times.
I will now liaise with the support there and inquire further.
Do there is a way to force a change in the registry to be not changed back again?

highend

Post by highend »

Maintenance - Service - Solving PC Problems - Display Issues - Problems working with files and folders - Folders cannot be opened or only opened improperly
This is one item, that removes XYplorer as the default file manager

If this is carried out automatically on reboot? Probably (but not checked). Why do people use stuff on their PC that they have no control over? oO
Do there is a way to force a change in the registry to be not changed back again?
By trying to change the permissions for the necessary keys.
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

1024mb

Post by 1024mb »

admin wrote: 04 Nov 2018 10:19
highend wrote: 04 Nov 2018 09:06
Windows Key+E
This has nothing to do with registering something as the default filemanager

If you want to change that, open a command prompt with admin privileges
Execute these commands (ofc you have to adapt the paths if you want to do it only for the current user and not for all and DON't forget to change this "<path to XYplorer>" to the real path of your XYplorer installation / portable folder!

Code: Select all

REG COPY "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\opennewwindow\command" "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\opennewwindow\command.bak" /f
REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\opennewwindow\command" /v "DelegateExecute" /f
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\opennewwindow\command" /ve /d "<path to XYplorer>\XYplorer.exe" /f
Wow, so there it is! Tried it manually and it works well. I renamed DelegateExecute to DelegateExecuteORIG, and added the XYplorer full path to the standard key. Voilà, Win+E opens XYplorer. Thanks, man! :tup:

PS: Even when you click on the Explorer icon it will open XYplorer now!
Can you add an option within the app to do this?
Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Later...

ComputerUser

Post by ComputerUser »

Please add that option, then I will buy it. :-)

tbm

Post by tbm »

Sorry to re-open this post but I have a similar issue and hoping to fix it. There's one app I use (the media player MediaMonkey) which has the option to right click a file and select 'Find more from same folder (Explorer)'. It basically jumps to the location of the selected file in Explorer.

I've set XY to be my default explorer in XY's Configuration settings and it works for everything else but not in MediaMonkey where it always opens up an instance of Windows Explorer.

My registry settings for the following are all set to: "C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer\XYplorer.exe" "%1"

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Directory\Shell\XYplorer\Command
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Drive\Shell\XYplorer\Command
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\Shell\XYplorer\Command
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Drive\Shell\XYplorer\Command

and the key values for these 2 are both set to XYPlorer:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Directory\Shell
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\Shell

I've tried using several other media management apps and they all correctly open XYPlorer when I select to jump to a folder location. It's just MediaMonkey that uses Win Explorer to externally open file locations.

Does it sound like this is hardcoded into MediaMonkey and if so can you suggest what I can recommend to the devs of that app to fix it?

Thank you :)

highend

Post by highend »

Get
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... ds/procmon

and capture MediaMonkey's activity (in the registry) when you call that function and you know if it's hardcoded or not...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

tbm

Post by tbm »

highend wrote: 13 Apr 2021 21:21 Get
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... ds/procmon

and capture MediaMonkey's activity (in the registry) when you call that function and you know if it's hardcoded or not...
Hmm, thanks - I ran Procmon while carrying out the task in MediaMonkey but I've got no idea how to process all the info captured or what to look for! I'll see if I can decipher anything by playing around with it...