[19.10.0200] Opening file on portable device -> 'The directory name is invalid'

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Koko

[19.10.0200] Opening file on portable device -> 'The directory name is invalid'

Post by Koko »

Hi!

I'm having trouble opening files from a portable device (phone). When trying to open an audio file with Enter or Context menu -> Open I usually get the explorer copy dialog, and once the copy is finished I get an XYplorer.exe message box with 'The directory name is invalid'.
Of all the files I've tried, on one audio file I get instead: An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file ... 0x80004005: Unspecified Error.

- It works if I use: Context Menu -> Show 64-bit Context Menu -> Open
- I can open it in Windows Explorer
- FTR, this also happens if I rename the file to something simple and put it in the root folder of the phone or on the SD card

I've just started using XYplorer, so I may just be confused. I don't actually know what the deal with the 64-bit Context Menu is.
Since the release notes of the version I'm using start with "XYplorer’s portable devices support has been finally resolved" I thought you might be interested.
Let me know if there is further information you need, ATM this is 100% reproducible.

Cheers,
Korbinian

admin
Site Admin

Re: [19.10.0200] Opening file on portable device -> 'The directory name is invalid'

Post by admin »

Hi and welcome to the club!

Yes, I have seen these messages too, and could not yet find a way to fix them. The MTP protocol underlying Portable Devices support is a miserable mess, plus the opening applications sometimes lack 32-bit support or somehow did not get it right.

When you use the "64-bit Context Menu" (FYI, you can also permanently turn it on here: Configuration | Other | Shell Integration | 64-bit Windows | Show the 64-bit context menu) any bitness related issues should disappear.

Don

Koko

Re: [19.10.0200] Opening file on portable device -> 'The directory name is invalid'

Post by Koko »

Hey!

Yes, I've actually implemented a small subset of MTP recently myself; only enough to enumerate and copy stuff, but that was appalling enough.

The file /is/ downloaded correctly, it appears at '%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\...' (which is just where Windows Explorer puts it), it's just the Opening part that fails. In Procmon I can see that it's figured out the shell open command to use, I assume actually opening the file in the player is where it's going wrong.

If I associate a 32bit executable in Program Files (x86) with the mp3 then it launches correctly.

Switching permanently to the (I assume) native Windows Explorer context menu has two drawbacks:
- It's opening more slowly on wdp objects
- Pressing 'Enter' will still fail

Cheers,
Korbinian

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Koko wrote:...I assume actually opening the file in the player is where it's going wrong.
The question is why?

That %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\ path is the same for 32 and 64 bit, so can't be any confusion here.

:|