Named Tab issue for "This PC"

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
klownboy

Named Tab issue for "This PC"

Post by klownboy »

Hi Don, I have double click on white space in Tree and List set to 2 (Up) in XYplorer.ini.

Code: Select all

; Tweak: 0=Default, 1=Top, 2=Up, 3=Back, 4=ScrollInView, 5=Refresh
CEA_TreeListDoubleClickOnWhite=2
I have a tab named:

Roaming <drive>:\<folder>|:browsenetwork
It's both the my default tab and it's location is locked (both checked in the tab context menu). The tab Home is set/locked to "D:\". When I double click on white in the tree white space when I have a drive selected in the tree, XYplorer goes up to "This PC" in the tree and the drives are listed in my list pane. That's all fine, but instead of changing my default tab to "Roaming This PC", the tab is called "This PC". It uses the default tab which is expected, but it does not honor the name provided. The name Roaming with the current drive is honored everywhere else (unless the location has it's own tab of course). Some additional information: I do also have a locked location and locked home zone tab with "C:\" as the set home, along with a number of other locked tabs. Thanks.
Last edited by klownboy on 19 Sep 2018 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440

admin
Site Admin

Re: Double Click on WhiteSpace in Tree

Post by admin »

I don't think the default tab should inherit the name of the locked source tab.

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

I don't think it is wise to use "Lock ..." and "Default tab" options together. Because of being default, the tab will leave the locked zone anyway.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Hey Don. I agree, a default shouldn't inherent the name of a locked source tab and it doesn't, but in this case I'm not talking about a locked source tab. I have a default tab that's named Roaming <drive>:\<folder> as I mentioned. Anytime I click on a folder or drive in the tree, the visible tab name will change as it should to "Roaming Drive\folder" (e.g., Roaming D:\Tools\Malwarebytes) unless I've clicked on a folder that has a locked tab assigned. My problem is: if I double click on whitespace when I've got a drive selected in the tree, it goes up to "This PC" and when it does that my default tab visible name changes to "This PC". I think it should change to "Roaming This PC". I have no tab, either locked or unlocked for "This PC".

Edit: Simply clicking on "This PC" in the tree will do the same thing. That action will utilize my default tab but instead seeing the tab name change to "Roaming This PC" it's simply "This PC". In other words, in the "This PC" location only, the default tab name is not used properly.
Last edited by klownboy on 18 Sep 2018 19:16, edited 1 time in total.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Hey LittleBig, I haven't experienced any issues over quite a few years until this situation having my default tab locked to D:\ and set as home. My only issue that just arose is that going up to "This PC" by double clicking on WS or by simply clicking on "This PC". The "This PC" location doesn't inherent or honor the given default tab name "Roaming This PC" as it does for any other location that doesn't have a locked tab. It uses the default tab but not the default tab name. You are probably right about the combining of the locked tab and default as being unnecessary, but even un-checking locked, this issue still exist.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, got it. The problem here is that "This PC" does not fit in the formula "Roaming <drive>:\<folder>" (it's neither a drive nor a folder) therefore the formula is by-passed and the tab is simply named by the location.

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

klownboy wrote:Hey LittleBig, I haven't experienced any issues over quite a few years until this situation having my default tab locked to D:\ and set as home. My only issue that just arose is that going up to "This PC" by double clicking on WS or by simply clicking on "This PC". The "This PC" location doesn't inherent or honor the given default tab name "Roaming This PC" as it does for any other location that doesn't have a locked tab. It uses the default tab but not the default tab name. You are probably right about the combining of the locked tab and default as being unnecessary, but even un-checking locked, this issue still exist.
Of course, of course. I understood your problem, and my remark was not an intended solution for you. It is just a weirdness that came into my mind reading your post. Actually I wouldn't allow a locked tab to be default, and vica versa.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

admin wrote:Okay, got it. The problem here is that "This PC" does not fit in the formula "Roaming <drive>:\<folder>" (it's neither a drive nor a folder) therefore the formula is by-passed and the tab is simply named by the location.
OK I understand. I hate to ask, but is there anyway you could abide by the named portion of the tab name ignoring the drive/folder (i.e., in this case it would be "Roaming This PC") only if it's not too much work? I ask only because I have a small script that closes all tabs beyond or to the right of my Roaming tab. The script is based on the tab containing "Roaming*". I didn't want to base the script on the index/ID since the script would be used on multiple computers, all would have a normal right most tab named "Roaming <drive>:\<folder>, but the tab would have a different index.

@LittleBig, I can't remember if there was any good reason why I locked the tab along with making it the default. My only requirement was limiting the number of tabs generated by using a default and setting a home, in my case "D:\", so I could always double click the tab and go home. I haven't had any issues having it locked, but it seems to be unnecessary and I unlocked it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, I will add a new variable <drivefolder> that will cover this case.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote:OK, I will add a new variable <drivefolder> that will cover this case.
No, in the next version you call your tab like this:

Roaming <drive>:\<folder>||Roaming <folder>
This is an undocumented feature. Just do it. :)

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Thanks Don. So as an example, that syntax will yield a "Roaming C:\Windows" OR for This PC will result in a tab name of "Roaming This PC". So in other words, when no drive name is given, <folder> by itself will result in "This PC" as a tab name. :tup:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep!

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Hi Don, the latest beta 19.10.0233 is handling This PC the way we discussed, but not the icon specified. So for example this:

Roaming <drive>:\<folder>||Roaming <folder>|:browsenetwork
will give a tab name of Roaming This PC|:browsenetwork when I click on "This PC" in the tree. If I click on a folder or drive again the name is correct but the it does not use the icon specified but instead uses an icon associated in Tools | Customize File Icons. That seems to be the case regardless of the type icon specified - an internal XYplorer icon or a path/name to a normal file icon.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Try this sequence:

Roaming <drive>:\<folder>|:browsenetwork||Roaming <folder>

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Ah yes thanks, that works. :tup: