Squashed "+" icon before Computer node - Tree path tracing

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
highend

Squashed "+" icon before Computer node - Tree path tracing

Post by highend »

Current beta, fresh instance, only change (for better visibility what happens afterwards...):
Configuration | Colors and Styles | More Colors | Current Tree Path
D32218
tree.png
tree.png (12.52 KiB) Viewed 943 times
The plus sign in front of "Computer" is somehow "condensed / squashed". It doesn't influence
the tree path tracing line in that state but now switch
Configuration | Colors and Styles | More Colors | Tree path tracing | Wide trace
on and you'll see what I mean immediately...

Windows Server 2012 R2 U3
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Re: Squashed "+" icon before Computer node - Tree path tracing

Post by admin »

That's done deliberately, to save some space. I don't have any problem with it. :)

OTOH I'm not sure what you mean by "squashed "+" icon". I don't see any icon at all. :?

highend

Post by highend »

Oh, is the left "thing" meant to be some external disk drive and belongs to the computer icon?
Looks weird...

Everything that is wider than the normal tracing looks ugly as hell:
tree.png
tree.png (8.28 KiB) Viewed 939 times

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

As you probably realize, that squashed thing to the left of the icon is part of the icon itself. My PC icon on Windows 10 Pro looks like this:
Links_capture.JPG
Links_capture.JPG (12.46 KiB) Viewed 928 times
I see the same issue on Tree Path tracing. If you increase the TreePaddingLeft= to about 20 the tree paths will be the same. Don, maybe if a user selects wide trace under Tree Path Tracing in Configuration, you should automatically increase the above value to around 20.

Edit: One other, I suppose good benefit of increasing the above value (to at least 18) that I just discovered, is that I can now see the full node to the left of This PC. Whereas before with TreePaddingLeft=5, I saw nothing but the end of the tree path tracing as shown in my capture.
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

highend

Post by highend »

Thanks Ken, I can live with the tweak :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

klownboy wrote:As you probably realize, that squashed thing to the left of the icon is part of the icon itself. My PC icon on Windows 10 Pro looks like this:Links_capture.JPGI see the same issue on Tree Path tracing. If you increase the TreePaddingLeft= to about 20 the tree paths will be the same. Don, maybe if a user selects wide trace under Tree Path Tracing in Configuration, you should automatically increase the above value to around 20.

Edit: One other, I suppose good benefit of increasing the above value (to at least 18) that I just discovered, is that I can now see the full node to the left of This PC. Whereas before with TreePaddingLeft=5, I saw nothing but the end of the tree path tracing as shown in my capture.
Please explain again. I really fail to see anything problematic or ugly. :? (I mean really, I'm not playing dumb)

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

The only issue boils down to the treepath with a wide trace when TreePaddingLeft= is some value less than approximately 20 you'll get a tree path trace similar to what high ends shows in his second post (i.e., thin at the top and thick as you get more room from the left side). Of course that may depend on the TPTWidth=0 setting as well. My TreePaddingLeft=5 and TPTWidth=0 originally. Highends was probably close to that also. Increasing the TreePaddingLeft= value to near 20 provides more room at the top for the extra tree path width. So my comment was that maybe if someone selects wide trace, the TreePaddingLeft= value should be automatically increased to accommodate the extra width. Not a big deal, but if a user doesn't know about the tweaks they'll end up with a tree path looking like highends.

As far as the squashed "+" node highend noted in his first post, that was part of the icon itself not the "+" node. By increasing the value of TreePaddingLeft= to at least 18, the "+" or "-" node on the left side of the icon becomes visible. To see the difference, compare this capture with TreePaddingLeft=18 to the screen capture in my post above with TreePaddingLeft=5.
Attachments
Links_capture2.JPG
Links_capture2.JPG (12.66 KiB) Viewed 901 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, who needs the "+" node in front of the Computer icon? Waste of space. :|

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

admin wrote:Well, who needs the "+" node in front of the Computer icon? Waste of space.
I certainly don't. I was just pointing it out to highend. The TreePaddingLeft= value though does affect the tree path width though resulting in the narrow top width and wide trace at the bottom as shown in highend's second post. Again, not a big deal. I don't use wide trace on tree path either. I'm returning my TreePaddingLeft setting to 5 as it has been for years so I don't see the "-" node beside the icon and to save space.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote:Well, who needs the "+" node in front of the Computer icon? Waste of space. :|
With diamonds it looks nice (well, for me)
mypc_diamond.png
mypc_diamond.png (11.79 KiB) Viewed 887 times