Permanent Startup Path Opens New Tab

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
TestMeister

Permanent Startup Path Opens New Tab

Post by TestMeister »

XY 19.10.0100

I have 3 tabs defined from left to right:
  • (1) Home is set to C:\, set as Default
    (2) Home set to C:\Docs, Location locked
    (3) Home set to C:\Utility, Location locked
Configuration\ General\Startup & Exit
  • Permanent Startup Path= C:
    Startup pane= First Pane
    Save Settings on Exit- enabled
    Include most recently used lists on save- enabled
If XY is closed with (1) NOT positioned at C:\
  • an additional tab (4) is created to the right of (3), positioned at C:\
If XY is closed with (1) NOT positioned at C:\ and If "Permanent Startup Path" is not defined
  • no additional tab is created
Since (1) is not locked, I would expect "Permanent Startup Path" to reposition (1) rather than open an additional tab.
Is this correct?

Thanks!

klownboy

Re: Permanent Startup Path Opens New Tab

Post by klownboy »

Do you have the Configuration | Tab setting, "Reuse existing tabs when changing the location" checked? It shouldn't matter for your situation, but I assume you would also have the Configuration | Startup and Exit" setting of "Open command line start path in new tab" unchecked. Again, I'm not sure if it should make a difference, but is your Permanent Startup path designated as C: as you posted or C:\ ?
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

TestMeister

Post by TestMeister »

Thanks for your reply...

I have tried "Permanent Startup path" as both C: and C:\ with same result
"Reuse existing tabs when changing the location" tried both checked and unchecked with same result
"Open command line start path in new tab" is unchecked

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

It does seem a bit odd. I have a similar setup, but with more tabs with C:\ as my Permanent startup path. XY always starts for me on my C:\ tab no matter what status I've left it. I have another drive D:\ set as my default path. I call it my Roaming tab. My C:\ Tab I keep Locked Location as well as Locked Home Zone.

jupe

Post by jupe »

What you have posted could be a bug/quirk, I haven't thoroughly tested it, but if you are interested in a temporary workaround until the developer gets a chance to take a look at it, and if I understand correctly, you always want to start with only 3 tabs open?, 1st tab c:, then changing your XY windows shortcut to something like this might work, regardless of the above mentioned settings:

XYplorer.exe /feed="::tab('close',,4); seltab; goto 'c:\';"

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

I think the issue may have something to do with the fact that you're saving settings on Exit (in my own scenario I mentioned, I don't save settings on Exit) along with the fact that that your C:\ (1) tab being set as the default and not locked. So when settings are saved and tab (1) is not on the C:\ location, when XY opens it's making a new tab at that location since you saved with tab (1) at some other location. I suppose it could be considered a bug, but maybe not.

TestMeister

Post by TestMeister »

Thanks klownboy

(1) is not locked and I can change its path without another tab being created which is expected behavior; so the config option to set it to C:\ upon launch should not result in a new tab

If I first create (1) positioned at C:\ and do not save settings on exit, then I would not need a permanent startup path as it would always launch at C:\

Thanks Jupe, for now I just stopped setting "Permanent Startup path"

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

I'm curious, have you tried to lock C:\ and also set it as Home? It will still act as a default floating tab when you go to any un-tabbed locations, but it will allow you to double click on the tab whenever you want to send it back home to C:\. As I mentioned previously, I do that for a different folder, but it's a nice feature to be able to have that tab as the default roaming tab as well as being able to send it home.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

TestMeister wrote:Since (1) is not locked, I would expect "Permanent Startup Path" to reposition (1) rather than open an additional tab.
Is this correct?
I agree that this should NOT open a new tab. Fixed in next beta.

TestMeister

Post by TestMeister »

Thanks Don, you're on top of things as usual :) :appl: