Location Currently Not Available

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
jupe

Re: Location Currently Not Available

Post by jupe »

This probz isn't much use currently until it happens again, but just to clear it up, thinking about your question again Don, I think I may have given a confusing answer initially. Downloads is highlighted in the tree when I make the new folder and open in the pane, but when the location not available message comes up once trying to enter the folder, I am pretty sure that the tree moves to the new node, and the AB+BC+TAB+Title bar do too, not sure if that was clear from what I said last time, at least that is how I recall it happening, all other \Downloads\ folders plus the root are still all accessible, just not the new folder.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hm. No new ideas so far. When it happens again please send a screenshot of the whole XYplorer window.

snaileater

Post by snaileater »

Don,
I had the same "location Currently not available" symptom 2/3 days ago. Needless to say it is very annoying (=blocking bug in any case) - Windows 10 - latest release of XyPlorer.

Download Folder not involved but all my network drives were showing the same message.
These network drives were using the UNC naming of the servers ... when using back the full path with the IP Adresses the problem disappeared ...

Don't know if that can help in troubleshooting this behaviour ... but so far this workaround is doing the job for me ...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

v20.60 is 1 day old. Did you try it?

Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

admin wrote: 21 Nov 2019 19:23 v20.60 is 1 day old. Did you try it?
Apologies for cross-posting;

For what it's worth, I am running into this same issue (20.60.0002, tested on W10 1909 and Server 2016, same result). Computers randomly are not accessible when browsed to via UNC paths (some are accessible, some aren't, seems to change between XY launches). All of them state "Location currently not available." I thought it had to do with Administrative/hidden shares, but noticed that if I browsed to a PC I knew to be online, it still was shown as inaccessible.

This occurs when simply browsing to \\testpc, adding the share \\testpc\sharedirectory doesn't change the outcome.

Testing under a fresh copy of XY (xyplorer.exe /fresh) yields the same outcome, inaccessible shares.

This changed sometime during the last round of betas, but I don't update to each so I can't say exactly when it broke.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Untick everything under Configuration | General | Safety Belts, Network | Network. Does it help?

Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

admin wrote: 21 Nov 2019 21:27 Untick everything under Configuration | General | Safety Belts, Network | Network. Does it help?
I only had "Fast Network Enumeration" toggled.
No change by untoggling it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Should be fixed in v20.60.0006.

jsalamy

Post by jsalamy »

This seems to be happening to me with version 20.60.0200. I have tried disabling the network settings under safety belts.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

With a location like \\testpc\sharedirectory?

jupe

Post by jupe »

admin wrote: 11 Oct 2019 11:19 From the next beta onwards, when it happens again, run these two scripts and post the results, please:
exist "Downloads";
exist "%user%\Downloads";
This problem has happened to me a few times recently, I have repeated it in a couple fresh instances but it is still randomish, but these steps are the best way I can describe trying to invoke it manually currently, I still can't repeat it every time but have managed to on multiple occasions in fresh instances with some changes to the default settings as shown in the attached screenshots, so not sure if you want to spend any more time on it yet until I get absolute steps.

Anyway how it happened most recently was I was in %APPDATA%\subfolder\ (which automatically has a dimmed tree background because I have system folders hidden, maybe relevant?) and right click dragged an item to Downloads (in the MAXI tree) and selected "Copy here to New Subfolder" from the context menu. Then the file was correctly copied and the new subfolder created, visible in the list/BC/context, but not the tree yet.
Now I already had \Downloads open in the 2nd pane so I double clicked on the new folder in the 2nd pane which was visible now to open it, that's when I got in the current situation of "Location not available". I followed similar steps in a fresh instance after adjusting the tree and list settings as shown in one of the attached screenshots, this time accessing the new folder from the BC, as you can see in the attached screenshots I then ended up with a really weird address bar and BC address which included the path and an additional path in brackets just like is shown in the message in the pane under the "Location not Available text" (the entire 2nd line path that is shown in the pane error message)

I tried entering this exist <curpath>; (as well as the above cmds) when it happened and you will be able to see it is somehow thinking it is in a path like this verbatim: c:\users\user\downloads\path (c:\users\user\downloads\path) with a double path and brackets included, you will see easier in the attached screenshots.

In my normal profile I have the below setting disabled (which is non default) and I think that this is relevant to the problem because I so far I've been unable to invoke the issue with it enabled:

Configuration | General | Tree and List | Tree | Remember state of tree

Also having hidden folders hidden from the list/tree could have some bearing on the issue presenting itself maybe (navigating from an unlocked but dimmed tree background):

Configuration | General | Tree and List | Items in Tree and List | [ ] Show hidden files and folders

I have sent you relevant screenshots directly because there are many, and they are un-obfuscated. Hopefully the screenshots might explain this more clearly than my dismal effort.

I have kept 2 instances of XY open that are both currently exhibiting the problem, I will keep them open for as long as I can until I need to restart again, that way if you want me to try anything or answer any queries while they are in the erroneous state I can. edit: had to restart.

lastnikita

Post by lastnikita »

Hi mate, same problem here, was on 20.10.xxx
Tried to update to latest 20.60.0300, but the same folder, which was newly created, remained impossible to display.
Any new folder created in "downloads" system folder gets the same treatment.
If I create one elsewhere, it works fine.

Hope you can fix this, thanks for your continued work =)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Fix is in the making... :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jupe wrote: 02 Jan 2020 12:20 Anyway how it happened most recently was I was in %APPDATA%\subfolder\ (which automatically has a dimmed tree background because I have system folders hidden, maybe relevant?) and right click dragged an item to Downloads (in the MAXI tree) and selected "Copy here to New Subfolder" from the context menu. Then the file was correctly copied and the new subfolder created, visible in the list/BC/context, but not the tree yet.

1) "Copy here to New Subfolder" -- was that a background copy? (= using the XYcopy process)

2) "...visible in the list/BC/context, but not the tree yet." -- so the tree node was expanded but the new subfolder was not shown?

jupe

Post by jupe »

1) Yes (actually I think it was a Move to...)

2) Yes, the new folder wasn't shown yet in the tree when created via that RC drag method.