Fail to pin the program on Start Screen

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
yestowai

Fail to pin the program on Start Screen

Post by yestowai »

In windows 10, I cannot pin the program on Start Screen.

I hope this problem would be fixed. Or suggest add a tool for "Open current folder in Explorer".

jupe

Re: Fail to pin the program on Start Screen

Post by jupe »

It is definitely possible to pin to start menu but it needs to be done from Explorer not XY AFAIK, so if you were trying from XY then instead you could try entering this in the XY address bar:

Code: Select all

run "explorer /select,<xy>";
and then when Explorer window opens right click the XYplorer.exe and select "Pin to Start" from near the top of the context menu, I think in the past I have had occasions when some apps need to be pinned to the taskbar first, then pinned to start then unpinned from the taskbar but that was in earlier versions of Windows 10 and I think that is/was a OS bug.
startmenu.png
startmenu.png (6.76 KiB) Viewed 2456 times
edit: if you are on 64bit Windows you should be able to enable the below setting to see the "Pin to Start" in the context menu from within XY

Configuration | Other | Shell Integration | 64-bit Windows | Show the 64-bit context menu

edit2: After re-reading your post I think you meant you can't pin *any* program to start from XY, not XY itself, in that case you should be able to run a command like below in the address bar or attach it to a button etc. to open the current item in Explorer, if you can't or don't want to use the 64 bit context menu option mentioned above.

run "explorer.exe /select,""<curitem>""";
If it still doesn't work and you reply please tell us what exactly isn't working and how you have tried.

yestowai

Post by yestowai »

jupe wrote: edit2: After re-reading your post I think you meant you can't pin *any* program to start from XY, not XY itself, in that case you should be able to run a command like below in the address bar or attach it to a button etc. to open the current item in Explorer, if you can't or don't want to use the 64 bit context menu option mentioned above.

run "explorer.exe /select,""<curitem>""";
If it still doesn't work and you reply please tell us what exactly isn't working and how you have tried.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, using the code "run "explorer.exe /select,""<curitem>""";" can open the folder in Explorer. That is good.
But, if XY can pin program to Start Screen by itself, it is better.

Mod edit: Shortened the full quote...

jupe

Post by jupe »

OK, I think I finally understand, I never use the start screen myself but have now confirmed that while using the 64-bit context menu it isn't possible to pin apps to the Start screen, although it is visible (unlike the native 32bit menu), pressing the menu item does nothing.

edit: After some quick research it seems Microsoft on Win10 may have made it so that only explorer.exe can pin stuff as a safety device against rogue apps, so on Win10 it might have to be specifically worked around, or maybe the context menu item could be hidden.

Leito

Post by Leito »

Works for me (or I didn't understand at all the issue here?):

yestowai

Post by yestowai »

jupe wrote:OK, I think I finally understand, I never use the start screen myself but have now confirmed that while using the 64-bit context menu it isn't possible to pin apps to the Start screen, although it is visible (unlike the native 32bit menu), pressing the menu item does nothing.

edit: After some quick research it seems Microsoft on Win10 may have made it so that only explorer.exe can pin stuff as a safety device against rogue apps, so on Win10 it might have to be specifically worked around, or maybe the context menu item could be hidden.
Thanks, I've know why. Win10 is troublesome.
But, U never use the Start Screen......start program by Startisback? :lol:

jupe

Post by jupe »

Leito wrote:Works for me (or I didn't understand at all the issue here?)
Yeah the issue is as far as I can tell that unless an app already has a shortcut lnk file in the start menu folders, it won't pin, usually this is done automatically when you select Pin to Start but it isn't being done. I think that could possibly be the issue, or the changes I mentioned earlier.

Or does that work for you? Select a random exe file that isn't already listed under "All Apps" or on your taskbar, and try and pin it to Start Menu, does that work?

What version of Win10 are you running, it definitely doesn't work on the new Win10 1803, at least for me.

yestowai

Post by yestowai »

Leito wrote:Works for me (or I didn't understand at all the issue here?):

<mod edit: images removed>
My God. It work on your PC really!
I failed to do that on any version win10.

Leito

Post by Leito »

jupe wrote:Yeah the issue is as far as I can tell that unless an app already has a shortcut lnk file in the start menu folders, it won't pin, usually this is done automatically when you select Pin to Start but it isn't being done. I think that could possibly be the issue, or the changes I mentioned earlier.

Or does that work for you? Select a random exe file that isn't already listed under "All Apps" or on your taskbar, and try and pin it to Start Menu, does that work?
You are right. I just tried pinning such an exe file, and it didn't work.
jupe wrote:What version of Win10 are you running, it definitely doesn't work on the new Win10 1803, at least for me.
Win10 1803 as well.
yestowai wrote:My God. It work on your PC really!
I failed to do that on any version win10.
Do you have XYplorer.lnk under one of the following folders?
  • C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\XYplorer
  • C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\XYplorer
As stated by @jupe, it might be because you don't have the shortcut under "All apps" that you can't pin it.

yestowai

Post by yestowai »

Leito wrote:
jupe wrote:Yeah the issue is as far as I can tell that unless an app already has a shortcut lnk file in the start menu folders, it won't pin, usually this is done automatically when you select Pin to Start but it isn't being done. I think that could possibly be the issue, or the changes I mentioned earlier.

You are right. I just tried pinning such an exe file, and it didn't work.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can find way to pin every exe file to start screen.
I hope XY can pin every exe file to start screen by 1 step, just like windows' explorer.

andrew-nz

Post by andrew-nz »

Edit: Sorry about going straight into a bug report, I'm a big fan of XYExploreryou guys do great work. :appl:

This is a big deal to me (why I signed up to the forum) also pin to task bar does not work. Just to clarify you can't pin anything, also shortcut files or folders.
Last edited by andrew-nz on 23 Jan 2019 22:41, edited 1 time in total.

andrew-nz

Post by andrew-nz »

When using the default file explorer pinning a folder, shortcut, exe to start simply copies a short cut file to "C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" with that in mind it would be great to add that feature to the XYExplorer menu.

Edit: Actually there must be a second step the above would just copy the shortcut to the applications menu.

jupe

Post by jupe »

If you are interested in a workaround and you would be happy with using Portable File Associations to pin apps (rather than the context menu entry), you could use this via command line:

http://www.technosys.net/products/utils/pintotaskbar

a quick example XY script:

run """c:\path\to\SYSPIN.exe"" ""<curitem>"" c:""Pin to Taskbar""",,, 0;

andrew-nz

Post by andrew-nz »

I'm comfortable with command line but I'm not sure particular fast ttyper. The fastest work around for me would just be pressing windows key + e pinning it then going back to xyexplorer. I haven't looked at the customization side of xyplorer it's propbably just the shortcut copy I mentioned and a tiny registry entry. Maybe I can find a way to do something.

jupe

Post by jupe »

Huh? You don't need to use it from the command line, you'd run the command from within XY. Using a script command like I supplied already you would add it to your Open With menu like is shown in the link I also already provided, the integration would just be a couple of clicks, the same as when pinning from the context menu.

Read up about it in the help file.