Floating Preview problem

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
glusberg

Floating Preview problem

Post by glusberg »

Any way I can address the issue I am having with the Floating Preview window? When I turn it on (F11) and i move from file to file, With some files (not all, which drives me nuts!) the floating window remains blank until i give it focus again (by either clicking on it, or a double tap of the F11 key (i.e.: turning it off and back on)). It gets annoying when reviewing files to deal with them. I am running 18.90.0100 but it has been happening for a long while.

Thank you for any suggestions.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Floating Preview problem

Post by admin »

Sounds weird. Never seen that here. But can you give me a little information? I need to see a pattern...

glusberg

Post by glusberg »

Yes, of course. Not without saying first that I love the software, that is almost perfect (real praise if you knew me), and it, time after time, solves problems for me in inimitable ways I would not have thought of them myself. Thank you for your hard work!

After writing here, I tried to focus my attention. It turns out it only happens with pdf files (surprise!). I use PDF-XChange Editor (per a recommendation here); it seems to stop working every 2 months or so, but a re-install fixes it inside XY. I don't use it for anything else.

As described, If I am reviewing a list of files (mostly scanned pdfs) to rename and re-locate, and F11 is on, then I am presented with a white empty screen after moving from one file to another, but it becomes visible if i click on the display screen.

Sorry if i am missing info you need. Let me know what I can do to help clarify. And thank you for your interest.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Could it be you are switching too fast? So that the current preview is not yet fully loaded?

glusberg

Post by glusberg »

I am not sure I am following what you are saying correctly.
But if I move from a pdf element on the list to the next, and I see a blank screen, I can wait for minutes with a blank/white screen until I give it focus. Then it becomes instantly visible.

glusberg

Post by glusberg »

A little more information after my last note. I noticed:
* when I proceed from pdf to pdf on the list with floating preview on, data flashes in the windows for a fraction of a second before going blank (!).
* also, if I move on to the next pdf in the list (without giving focus to the preview window), and immediately move back, SOMETIMES I do get the contents of the floating preview window.
* I tried to figure out if there is a pattern on the pdf that are immediately visible (for example if it happens with pdfs generated on this machine) and can not find one. Sorry.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote:Could it be you are switching too fast? So that the current preview is not yet fully loaded?
I meant: Are you moving to the next PDF while the current one is not yet fully loaded (previewed)?

Do you get the same problem when previewing PDFs in the Preview Pane (Ctrl+F11) or the Preview Tab (F12)?

glusberg

Post by glusberg »

No. I believe I give them sufficient time to load. On tests, minutes. Sometimes these include long documents (65-90 pages), but mostly the pdfs contain 1-3 pages total.
Nope. No problems with Preview Pane or the Preview Tab (whose existence I was unaware of). It works perfectly, as expected.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Still cannot reproduce it.

What is your Windows version?
How do you move from file to file, by arrow keys, or by mouse?

glusberg

Post by glusberg »

sorry you can't reproduce it. Something about my setup?
Windows 10 Pro (1709).
Usually by arrow keys (up and down), but I have tried both ways. No difference.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Does it also happen with a fresh instance? (To exclude any configuration or tweak factors)

See https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=fresh

glusberg

Post by glusberg »

I just tried on a fresh instance. Yes it does exhibit the same behavior...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

glusberg wrote:A little more information after my last note. I noticed:
* when I proceed from pdf to pdf on the list with floating preview on, data flashes in the windows for a fraction of a second before going blank (!).
* also, if I move on to the next pdf in the list (without giving focus to the preview window), and immediately move back, SOMETIMES I do get the contents of the floating preview window.
* I tried to figure out if there is a pattern on the pdf that are immediately visible (for example if it happens with pdfs generated on this machine) and can not find one. Sorry.
And this is totally predictable? Some PDFs never show the problem, and others always?

glusberg

Post by glusberg »

Correct. :veryconfused: :(

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Looks like my PDFs are from the group that never show the problem. Can you send me one of yours?