XY keeping folders locked

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Papoulka

XY keeping folders locked

Post by Papoulka »

XY 18.90.0100, Win10 Pro x64, ::fresh

With this beta, if I open a folder in the list, do anything in it (maybe just preview a JPG), then go back UP to the parent folder, the orig folder is locked by XY. I can't rename it or move it, either in XY or in Windows Explorer. Both will pop the "Folder in use" window saying it's open in another app. XY will also sometimes pop an "Access denied" msg. If I kill XY then Explorer can move or rename the folder. So can XY when I restart that.

This is now happening about 90% of the time, maybe more. I don't think it occurred immediately after I got this beta, so may be due to a Windows 10 update in the meantime. Also very strange that nobody else is reporting it, since it's very obtrusive.

EDIT -

Well... it's likely not an XY beta problem, since an old XY v17 has the same issue. OTOH Windows Explorer doesn't. Maybe it's some kind of Win 10 update incompatibility with XY in general. Will try to narrow it down, which may require reinstalling an old Win image so will take some time.

EDIT EDIT -

Turns out that Malwarebytes Antimalware (MBAM) v3.4.4 was the problem. It was silently locking folders that had merely been opened by other apps.
They've acknowledged this and issued v3.4.5 which fixes it.

RichardP

Re: XY keeping folders locked

Post by RichardP »

@Papoulka

Thank you so much for finding the solution to this problem. It was driving me crazy. Installing MBAM 3.4.5 over 3.4.4 was the cure.

What was confounding is that Unlocker (a utility that displays locking handles on a file or folder) was showing no locks on the folder I was trying to rename, yet Xyplorer insisted the folder was in use by another app (untrue, not counting MBAM) and wouldn't let me rename it.

admin
Site Admin

Re: XY keeping folders locked

Post by admin »

Papoulka wrote:Turns out that Malwarebytes Antimalware (MBAM) v3.4.4 was the problem. It was silently locking folders that had merely been opened by other apps.
They've acknowledged this and issued v3.4.5 which fixes it.
Holy moly... and you still trust this software?