Preview Pane doesnt show solidworks files

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
CharlieD

Preview Pane doesnt show solidworks files

Post by CharlieD »

I am running the latest version 18-90.0100 and I have Solidworks 2018 64bit installed on my windows 10 64bit system.
Solidworks previews do not work in preview pane. When I click on a solidworks file the preview pane shows a bunch of garbled text is all. Nor does it show the Solidworks thumbnails for parts, drawings and assemblies. It replaces them with a white square.

I have seen reference to this where they talk about a 32 bit preview handler but I have yet to actually find one of these or find a fix.
I did talk to a guy running Solidworks 2014 32 bit ans he can see the previews in the preview pane.

I truly like this program, but this is essential for me to be able to use it .

Can someone please help.

highend

Re: Preview Pane doesnt show solidworks files

Post by highend »

- Which file type extensions are you trying to preview?
- Do they have an entry under Configuration | Preview | Previewed Formats - Probably "Office Files"?
- If ShellExView (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html) does not show a 32-bit preview handler
entry... you are probably out of luck

Quick View Plus works with XY but it only supports .dxf & .dwg and only older versions of them
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

CharlieD

Post by CharlieD »

@ Highend
- Which file type extensions are you trying to preview?
The file type are Solidworks Files (Noted in my original post).
More specifically the solidworks extensions are as follows.
.sldprt
.sldasm
.slddrw
- Do they have an entry under Configuration | Preview | Previewed Formats - Probably "Office Files"?
Yes they are there. So is PDF and I can't view PDF file previews either.
If ShellExView (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html) does not show a 32-bit preview handler
entry... you are probably out of luck
I have no clue what shell view is. What I do know is, I can view solidwork previews in ALL of the other file explorers I have installed.
Even all of the free ones have no problems viewing Solidwork Previews.

I read another post regarding this on another site where a user said its an issue with Solidworks not XYPlorer. That statement was ignorant. It's clearly an issue with XYPlorer since its the only file explorer on the market I have run across that can't view solidworks previews.

I have the following file explorers install and and they all show solidworks images in the preview pane and they are all free programs. Its ironic that the dev team at XYplorer can build such a powerful tool yet can't get the preview window to work properly. I say this with the utmost confidence since I can't even view PDF previews in the preview pane and adobe is an industry standard.

Free commander
Clover
Explorer++
Q-Dir

I really appreciate you trying to help Highend.

highend

Post by highend »

I can view solidwork previews in ALL of the other file explorers I have installed
Then you're using 64-bit file explorers that make use of 64-bit preview handlers.

XY is a 32-bit app and it cannot use these preview handlers
since I can't even view PDF previews in the preview pane and adobe is an industry standard
Two options:
Install the free PDF-XChange Viewer (I'd use the v6 version!)
Or install the free Sumatra PDF Viewer

They both provide the necessary preview handler for your pdf preview to work
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Pablo4s

Post by Pablo4s »

CharlieD wrote:I am running the latest version 18-90.0100 and I have Solidworks 2018 64bit installed on my windows 10 64bit system.
Solidworks previews do not work in preview pane. When I click on a solidworks file the preview pane shows a bunch of garbled text is all. Nor does it show the Solidworks thumbnails for parts, drawings and assemblies. It replaces them with a white square.

I have seen reference to this where they talk about a 32 bit preview handler but I have yet to actually find one of these or find a fix.
I did talk to a guy running Solidworks 2014 32 bit ans he can see the previews in the preview pane.

I truly like this program, but this is essential for me to be able to use it .

Can someone please help.
Hi Charlie,
I'm using XY since 2 days and I am very well, I use windovs 7 PRO x64 SP1 and everything works beautifully, I see icons, thumbnails and preview correctly, instead on WIN 10 PRO x64 I can not see the icons of the solidworks files (2015 sp5 .0 x64), but I can see previews and thumbnails!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Found a possible solution (for solidworks icons not showing) here:
https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/184163

brushyourideas

Post by brushyourideas »

X and Y is a 32-bit app and it cannot use these preview handlers, right ?
Sorry, using a signature is not allowed for new users.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

brushyourideas wrote:X and Y is a 32-bit app and it cannot use these preview handlers, right ?
It needs 32-bit handlers (still, this will change later this year). But handlers are not the problem here since he said "I can see previews and thumbnails!". This icon issue is something else. I will fix it soon.

Pablo4s

Post by Pablo4s »

My experience is this.
I use Solidworks 2015 x64 SP 5.0 On windows 7 pro sp1, everything works REGULARLY, I display icons, thumbnails and previews !!!!!!!!!!!!
Unfortunately on the notebooks that have WINDOWS 10 PRO (1803) I can not see the colored icons typical of Solidworks. I have tested on 2 machines with windows 7 and 3 machines with windows 10, everything is confirmed.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When you select such a file and open Info Panel (F12) / Properties: Do you see the icons there?

Pablo4s

Post by Pablo4s »

admin wrote:When you select such a file and open Info Panel (F12) / Properties: Do you see the icons there?
sorry but I do not receive email notifications when something is posted on thred to which I participate .. :( now I tried to subscribe to the notifications!

Pablo4s

Post by Pablo4s »

Pablo4s wrote:My experience is this.
I use Solidworks 2015 x64 SP 5.0 On windows 7 pro sp1, everything works REGULARLY, I display icons, thumbnails and previews !!!!!!!!!!!!
Unfortunately on the notebooks that have WINDOWS 10 PRO (1803) I can not see the colored icons typical of Solidworks. I have tested on 2 machines with windows 7 and 3 machines with windows 10, everything is confirmed.
A bad news unfortunately ... on my system I had installed simultaneously SWX 2015 and SWX 2016. I saw correctly thumbnail and preview panel of Solidworks files ... Unfortunately I had to uninstall SWX 2016 and now I see neither thumbnails nor preview .... . :cry:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Pablo4s wrote:
admin wrote:When you select such a file and open Info Panel (F12) / Properties: Do you see the icons there?
sorry but I do not receive email notifications when something is posted on thred to which I participate .. :( now I tried to subscribe to the notifications!
And what's your answer to the question?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Pablo4s wrote:
A bad news unfortunately ... on my system I had installed simultaneously SWX 2015 and SWX 2016. I saw correctly thumbnail and preview panel of Solidworks files ... Unfortunately I had to uninstall SWX 2016 and now I see neither thumbnails nor preview .... . :cry:
It probably took the preview handlers with it when you uninstalled it. You might get them back when you re-install SWX 2015. But that's just a guess.

Pablo4s

Post by Pablo4s »

admin wrote:
Pablo4s wrote:
It probably took the preview handlers with it when you uninstalled it. You might get them back when you re-install SWX 2015. But that's just a guess.
the Solidworks version that correctly handles the previews is 2016 (and later, I think). 2015 does not show previews or even thumbnails.