Folders that names ended with a dot

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Antieve

Folders that names ended with a dot

Post by Antieve »

First of all let's make folders for our test:

Code: Select all

mkdir bug\bug..\\\
mkdir abc..\\\
mkdir abc
Bug #1 - you can't delete directory "bug" with bad named subfolder in any way, nothing happened
Bug #2 - if you try to delete "abc.." folder with context menu (not with xyplorer [X] button) than "abc" will be deleted instead (answer is - actually that menu belongs to "abc")
Bug #2.1 - context menu not working if you try to press RMB on "abc.." (and there is no "abc" folder)
Not sure that #2 is xyplorer problem, but I should mention that.
(Tested on win7 x64 xy18.70)
Maybe there is more strange things with folders that names ended with a dot, idk. Find out this ones because Handy Backup sometimes creates folders with dots from emails directories.

highend

Re: Folders that names ended with a dot

Post by highend »

Bug #1
Windows Explorer can't delete this folder as well. So I won't say this is an exclusive XY bug

Bug #2
Doesn't happen here

Bug #2.1
Doesn't happen here as well

XY version, do these things work in a fresh instance?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Antieve

Post by Antieve »

highend wrote:Bug #1
Windows Explorer can't delete this folder as well. So I won't say this is an exclusive XY bug
As long as XYPlorer can handle bad named folders, I think it's a bug.
highend wrote:do these things work in a fresh instance?
Looks like fresh instance works fine with #2
Is there way to stay it "fresh" but import my settings somehow without set up again from scratch?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

These folders are not legal within the Windows shell. You simply should not create them if you want to stay out of trouble.

That said, XYplorer can delete those folders, but you have to start with the folder itself. Only then you can delete the parent folder.

Antieve

Post by Antieve »

admin wrote:You simply should not create them if you want to stay out of trouble.
As I said before Handy Backup software creates those folders sometimes, not me.
admin wrote:That said, XYplorer can delete those folders, but you have to start with the folder itself. Only then you can delete the parent folder.
If XY can delete it directly than there is no reason to not delete it in subfolder etc just because in this case it is some kind a inferior option...
It is not always obvious for the user why the directory is undeletable and in most cases it doesn't come to mind to go inside and find illegal names in dir structure.

However you can solve this even with usual methods, for example I can delete it simply with:

rd /s "\\?\X:\bug"
so windows can do it, and XY must. Few simple WinAPI commands with right options (path) and it's done. Please fix it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'll have a look later.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I checked the possibilities and I found that those items are full of problems. It's not just deletion. Fixing this would be like writing a second file manager for folders ending with a dot. So this won't be on the top of my agenda...

jupe

Post by jupe »

Antieve wrote:As I said before Handy Backup software creates those folders sometimes, not me.
In my opinion whatever that is worth, I consider this a bug of Handy Backup, according to the last bullet point on this page:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... onventions
Do not end a file or directory name with a space or a period. Although the underlying file system may support such names, the Windows shell and user interface does not. However, it is acceptable to specify a period as the first character of a name. For example, ".temp".
So you should instead tell the creator of Handy Backup to fix it because they are creating folders against the rules, not so handy if you ask me.

Antieve

Post by Antieve »

I also find out that "Android Studio" likes to create path with too log names in its cache, and we have same problem - unable to delete any folder in this path until we delete all files in last one... and it's pain.

Antieve

Post by Antieve »

To give you some tip, I must mention that 7zip can handle all that issues without any problem by "Shift"+"Del"
As you know it's open source, so there will be no problem to reimplement this feature.

---------------------------------------------------------

rd /Q /S "\\.\<fullpath>" 
works too, but we need to do some extra steps to use it...

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

So if I understand you correctly you expect XY to follow your lead in supporting all the garbage your other applications tend to produce?
Probably time to get real and look at it the other way around.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

Antieve

Post by Antieve »

RalphM wrote:So if I understand you correctly you expect XY to follow your lead in supporting all the garbage your other applications tend to produce?
XYPLORER - FILE MANAGER FOR WINDOWS
Correct me if I wrong, but file manager should handle files and folders? right :)
This is the basic functionality.

If you can't delete folder or file, that's mean that XY not the best FM, and just another one... regular app...
I like XYPlorer and try to do what I can to help it become really best product.

BTW 7Zip is very high quality opensource project, there is nothing wrong to take some good solutions from it.
What about "your other applications", well if you think that I am the only one who faced this problems...

Google: "path is too long to delete" Results: 3 530 000
Google: "windows delete file ending with dot" Results: 1 270 000

highend

Post by highend »

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Software shouldn't create files / paths that violate against what the filesystem / OS officially supports.

Go and nag the people that are doing this shit in the first place!

If someone creates e.g. a .zip archive that would violate the standard you won't go to the author of 7-zip
and say: Hey, your purpose is to open archive files. Why don't you open this one?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

BTW, XYplorer has zero problems with long paths. It's only paths ending with a dot that are not fully supported.

Antieve

Post by Antieve »

I understand your position perfectly and at another time would agree with you, but this week I have encountered this problem twice and it was not very convenient to solve it with third-party tools, because I'm used to XYPlorer "almighty"...
Software shouldn't create files / paths that violate against what the filesystem / OS officially supports
But it does... and it's happen a lot. I am a developer myself and have a lot specific tools which does that more often than usual apps unfortunately.

Also as I mention before, Windows OS can handle this issues even without 7zip etc.