Calling XYplorer from external app stopped working

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Calling XYplorer from external app stopped working

Post by admin »

Well, yes. I guess I was just trying to wave a dead chicken...

Maybe for some reason (rights?) WM_COPYDATA just does not work in that environment?

elbitjusticiero

Post by elbitjusticiero »

If I completely uninstall XYplorer and reinstall it, maybe a previous version, will I be able to keep my configurations AND scripts? I am using a couple of scripts that keep their own configuration, specifically Session Manager, and it would be a pain to recreate it.

(btw I didn't mention this earlier because my environment was working fine before and I haven't installed any new scripts or updated the ones I have, so I don't think any of these is the culprit. But in case it may be related, I'm using Session Manager, RthemeL and XYstyleZ.)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There is no point in uninstalling XYplorer. This app is not "installed". It's portable.

So, what you do instead: you simply download an older version from the back catalog, and run it from some temp folder, and see whether it does or does not exhibit the issue.

elbitjusticiero

OK, I'll try that then, with a fresh unpack of the latest version and if it doesn't work, a previous one. Will report back.

elbitjusticiero

News!

Opening a folder from JDownloader on an already running instance of XYplorer works in a freshly unpacked 18.80 version. It takes a while, though. The first time I tried, I thought it wasn't working, tried to close XYplorer, and received a message about an unfinished operation. Upon cancelling, the folder appeared after a few seconds.

I unticked the "default file manager" box in that version, re-ticked it in my previously installed version with all my configurations, and the buggy behaviour persists.

It has to be some script, I guess?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Did you see your opened path now in the CopyData field?

Code: Select all

Command Line:
Command Normalized:
CopyData: "[your opened path]"

elbitjusticiero

With the freshly unpacked version, yes. Also the other two fields were populated with that version's path.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I have still no idea why the other instance does not work just the same.
It has to be some script, I guess?
What do you mean by this?

elbitjusticiero

I mean that if both versions are the same, and one works fine while the other has this glitch, then some script among those I mentioned (Session Manager, RthemesL) could be causing the problem? Just a shot in the dark.

jupe

Post by jupe »

I doubt it is your scripts, one idea though is if you still have the version installed that you say works, copy your old XYplorer.ini file into that versions Data\ folder, and see if it works when you try and make it the default app again from that location. That way it would have all your settings but no scripts installed, if you believe they may be the cause. You would need to toggle the default file manager switch from that location though once you have copied the ini file.

elbitjusticiero

OK, there may be something amiss here.

In the APPDATA folder for XYplorer I have a XYplorer.ini file that says it's for version 17.50 and a XYplorer-settings.ini for version 18.80.

They both seem to be used for the same purpose (same entries). I haven't compared them thoroughly because they are quite long.

Is this right?

jupe

Post by jupe »

To see the file you are using currently the easiest way is to just use this menu item:

Tools | Open Configuration File...

Then once the ini file opens in your text editor, save a copy of that file in the other XY's Data sub directory.

You could have multiple XYplorer.ini files on your system depending on where you have run it from in the past.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Just for info. I know you wanted to do more than just this, but a quick way of checking what ini file XYplorer is currently using is to simply open Tools | Configuration and you will see the ini file listed in the title bar. Comes in handy if you use some different ini files.
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

elbitjusticiero

OK, I'll be trying this. I need to do some tedious testing since the switching between default file managers has its quirks -- so I need to work on one version at a time. Will report back.

elbitjusticiero

OK, so it seems that a freshly downloaded copy of XYplorer 18.80, with no data copied from the previous installation, exhibits this issue.