18.70.0100 Suspend Auto-Refresh Zombie

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
user75475

18.70.0100 Suspend Auto-Refresh Zombie

Post by user75475 »

Every time I close and re-open "suspend auto-refresh" is re-enabled no matter how many times I disable it and save the configuration. This started happening immediately after I upgraded to 18.70.0100.

jupe

Re: 18.70.0100 Suspend Auto-Refresh Zombie

Post by jupe »

What drive type are you on?, if you have any of the following settings disabled you will get that behavior you describe if you are in one of those type of locations, it will also automatically switch on in other locations such as "This PC"

Configuration | General | Refresh, Icons, History | Auto-Refresh | Include network locations
Configuration | General | Refresh, Icons, History | Auto-Refresh | Include removable drives

The View | Suspend Auto-Refresh menu item isn't a permanent setting, it is only temporary.

user75475

Post by user75475 »

When I checked each drive individually by navigating to each one Xyplorer is behaving as follows:

Drive C - Suspend Auto-Refresh = Disabled
Drive D - Suspend Auto-Refresh = Disabled
Drive E - Suspend Auto-Refresh = Enabled
Drive G - Suspend Auto-Refresh = Disabled
Drive U - Suspend Auto-Refresh = Disabled
Drive X - Suspend Auto-Refresh = Disabled
Drive Z - Suspend Auto-Refresh = Disabled

Intermittent Problem:

Sometimes when the left pane (U) is active and I click the right pane (X) to activate it, on X, Suspend Auto-Refresh is Enabled but not all the time. When I close the app and reopen it both U and X show Suspend Auto-Refresh as Enabled. U, X and Z are VeraCrypt encrypted file containers. The container mapped to U sits on C. The container mapped to X sits on C. The container mapped to Z sits on G. Could that cause this problem? Perhaps it was never tested in this configuration. This problem started immediately after the in-place upgrade to the latest version.

All of the following are enabled:

Configuration | General | Refresh, Icons, History | Auto-Refresh | Include network locations
Configuration | General | Refresh, Icons, History | Auto-Refresh | Include removable drive
Configuration | General | Refresh, Icons, History | Auto-Refresh | Refresh during file operations

Ran the following command to determine which drives are removable:

wmic:root\cli>logicaldisk get caption,drivetype
Caption DriveType
C: 3
D: 3
E: 5
G: 2
U: 2
X: 2
Z: 2

Drive Types:

0 - Unknown
1 - No Root Directory
2 - Removable Disk
3 - Local Disk
4 - Network Drive
5 - Compact Disk
6 - RAM Disk

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Auto-Refresh is suspended
- on locations that cannot be watched (e.g. This PC, servers...)
- on locations that are excluded via Configuration | Refresh, Icons, History | Auto-Refresh
- on search results listings
- on Paper Folders

Do I understand your last post correctly in that the problem only exists on drive E:, and drive E: is seen as "Compact Disk"?

JohnM

Post by JohnM »

admin wrote:Auto-Refresh is suspended
- on locations that cannot be watched (e.g. This PC, servers...)
- on locations that are excluded via Configuration | Refresh, Icons, History | Auto-Refresh
- on search results listings
- on Paper Folders
I have found that for me Auto-Refresh is also suspended if I start copying 1 or more files to an external drive (a flash or spinning disk) and then while the copy is running deleting a file from the external drive (I use nuke). This also happens on a "::fresh" instance. Is this intended?
Windows 8.1 x64
XYplorer 22.90.0105 beta

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, it is.

JohnM

Post by JohnM »

May I ask why? To me, the behaviour seems a little counter intuitive not to be able to see what is going in the LV at all times (especially if the "Refresh during file operations" option is active).

Would it possible to implement an option/tweak to keep auto-refresh enabled in this case?
Windows 8.1 x64
XYplorer 22.90.0105 beta

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

See change log:

Code: Select all

v8.50.0002 - 2009-10-06 20:36
    * Backup operations: Now Auto-Refresh is auto-suspended while a 
      backup operation is in progress. Makes it smoother and faster.
So, it's been a while... but you are right, this should not happen if the "Refresh during file operations" option is active. I will change this...

JohnM

Post by JohnM »

admin wrote: v19.20.0036 -2018-10-27 19:21
! Foreground File Operations: In v8.50.0002 - 2009-10-06 20:36 this was
added:
Backup operations: Now Auto-Refresh is auto-suspended while a
backup operation is in progress. Makes it smoother and faster.
This also affects Custom Copy/Move (which did not exist in v8.50.0002).
However, it should not happen if the "Refresh during file operations"
option is active, of course. Fixed.
Thanks for this change. However, I don't think that it is working.

I tested it by starting a copy of some large files (I use large files to give me time to see what is happening) to an external drive and then while the copy was proceeding I deleted (nuked) a different file from the external drive. At that point Auto-Refresh was suspended (ie "Suspend Auto-Refresh" becomes active) and stayed that way until I manually re-enabled it.

In a separate test if I re-enable AR while the copy was running and then deleted (nuked) a different file from the external drive, AR was again suspended (ie "Suspend Auto-Refresh" becomes active) and remained that way until I manually re-enabled it.
Windows 8.1 x64
XYplorer 22.90.0105 beta

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Weird. Does not happen here. Are you this is ticked: Configuration | General | Refresh, Icons, History | Auto-Refresh | Refresh during file operations ?

PS: Note that auto-refresh is always auto-suspended right before a deletion. This was necessary because of this:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10953
Nevertheless the list will be updated right after the deletion and refresh is auto-reenabled.

JohnM

Post by JohnM »

admin wrote:Weird. Does not happen here.
That's disappointing.
admin wrote:Are you this is ticked: Configuration | General | Refresh, Icons, History | Auto-Refresh | Refresh during file operations ?
Yes, and all other options under "Auto-Refresh" are ticked as well.
Windows 8.1 x64
XYplorer 22.90.0105 beta

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

So the "Suspend Auto-Refresh" button turns to pressed state in the moment you press the DEL key? And the deletion is not shown in the list?

Wait for the next beta (v19.30.0001) -- it might be solved by the refresh fix.

JohnM

Post by JohnM »

admin wrote:So the "Suspend Auto-Refresh" button turns to pressed state in the moment you press the DEL key? And the deletion is not shown in the list?
Yes, but the delete is shown in the list.

I just tested the scenarios from before using 19.30.0001 beta and sadly there was no change in the outcome: I start the copy, and then once it is running (and the file being copied appears in the LV on the target drive) I delete the sacrificial file. After deleting the file, the LV updates and then the "Suspend Auto-Refresh" button turns to pressed state and stays that way until I manually switch it back. The "Suspend Auto-Refresh" button stays in the pressed in state even if I cancel the copy.

I have tried changing various settings but none seemed to make a difference. I tried: turning on and off the "delete" option under "Background File Operations", turning on and off the "Select next item after delete and move" under General->Tree and List->List and activating the "RefreshListOnly" tweak by setting it to 1.

I have also tried it on a ::fresh instance with the same result. :?
Windows 8.1 x64
XYplorer 22.90.0105 beta

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

So this is the sequence?
1. You start the foreground copy.
2. While the copy is still running you delete some other file (in the current folder? current tab? but not among the copied files? to recycler?) by pressing DEL and OK to the Are-You-Sure-Prompt.
3. While the copy is still running the deleted file disappears from the list.
4. RIGHT THEN, after the file disappears, the Suspend Auto-Refresh button gets magically pressed.
5. The copy operation finishes.
6. The Suspend Auto-Refresh button stays pressed.

JohnM

Post by JohnM »

So this is the sequence?
Basically yes. In the left pane are the files I am going to copy. In the right pane is the root folder of a usb stick (I am using a usb 3 but I don't think it matters). I create a sacrificial file in the root folder on the usb stick.

Like this (note the Suspend AR and AR buttons are visible immediately to the left of the address bar):
Start test.PNG
Start test.PNG (40.68 KiB) Viewed 3552 times
1. You start the foreground copy.
Once the copy dialog appears I click on XY's window bring it into the foreground so that the usb root folder is visible and the copy is running the background.
Start copy.PNG
Start copy.PNG (39.46 KiB) Viewed 3552 times
2. While the copy is still running you delete some other file (in the current folder? current tab? but not among the copied files? to recycler?) by pressing DEL and OK to the Are-You-Sure-Prompt.
I make the usb root folder focused by clicking in it with the mouse. Then I delete the sacrificial file by clicking on it with the mouse and then clicking the nuke toolbar button.
3. While the copy is still running the deleted file disappears from the list.
Yes.
4. RIGHT THEN, after the file disappears, the Suspend Auto-Refresh button gets magically pressed.
Yes. The file disappears and the LV is refreshed to reflect it; after that the Suspend AR button gets pressed.
After delete.PNG
After delete.PNG (38.92 KiB) Viewed 3552 times
5. The copy operation finishes.
6. The Suspend Auto-Refresh button stays pressed.
Yes, and remains that way.
Copy complete.PNG
Copy complete.PNG (39.11 KiB) Viewed 3552 times

If I click back and forth on the left pane (the source folder on the internal HDD) and right panes (usb) the suspend AR button stays pressed.
Interestingly, if I click on a different tab in the left pane (different folder but still internal HDD), the suspend AR button becomes unpressed. Then clicking on the right pane (usb) the suspend AR button becomes pressed again.

I hope makes sense.
Cheers
John
Windows 8.1 x64
XYplorer 22.90.0105 beta