Double clicking a previewable file doesn't work

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
jorick

Double clicking a previewable file doesn't work

Post by jorick »

If the preview pane is open and a previewable file (such as .docx) is double-clicked on the name, the file will preview and then the name goes into edit (rename) mode. The file isn't opened.

This appears to be related to how long it takes to preview the file. A .c (plain text) file will preview almost instantly and the file opens as expected. But a .docx file takes longer to preview so the file name will go into edit mode.

If the preview pane isn't open, double clicking the name will open the file as expected. Double clicking on the icon will also open the file as expected.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Double clicking a previewable file doesn't work

Post by admin »

OK, I'll check what I can do.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Should work better in next version.

fmaiabatista

Post by fmaiabatista »

This happens to me too (v19.19.0100).

I came here to find out why double-click was entering "rename mode" instead of opening the file and discovered that the behavior is exactly how @jorick described. I can reproduce this by following the same steps.

Preview Pane on, double-click (doesn't matter how fast/slow) before file actually gets previewed - Double-click sets "rename mode" on.
Preview Pane on, wait for file to show in preview pane, double-click (fast/not too slow) - Double-click opens the file.
Preview Pane on, wait for file to show in preview pane, double-click (slow enough) - Double-click sets "rename mode" on.

Even though there's no solution, knowing about this works for me.
Sorry, using a signature is not allowed for new users.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Welcome to the club!

And thanks for the info. I cannot reproduce this here (PDF, ODT), so it might be another Office quirk.