Copy dialog missing when copying from Remote Desktop

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
paludis

Copy dialog missing when copying from Remote Desktop

Post by paludis »

Hi,

I know this issue has been handled in various other topics, but I weren't able to find a satisfying solution anywhere, maybe I overlooked something.

Basically when copying files from a Remote Desktop (mstsc.exe) window there is no file copy dialog. The dialog that shows up when pasting the file on the desktop instead instead is still from Windows Explorer (according to ProcessHacker) but it looks different than the regular local copy dialog.

Additionally i noticed, when the file is already there, the auto renaming from xyplorer kicks in adding -01 -02 -03 at the end.

I already tried enabling/disabling background processing and custom copy but no luck.

This is what the clipboard looks like when copying a file from MSTSC
InsideClipboard_2017-12-19_09-14-28.png
InsideClipboard_2017-12-19_09-14-28.png (14.21 KiB) Viewed 1612 times
So basically I have two questions:

How can i disable the auto renaming for files (the -01, -02, ... part)?

How can i get a copy dialog, preferably including file replace dialog in case of conflicts, when copying files from Remote Desktop?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Copy dialog missing when copying from Remote Desktop

Post by admin »

paludis wrote:The dialog that shows up when pasting the file on the desktop instead instead is still from Windows Explorer (according to ProcessHacker) but it looks different than the regular local copy dialog
You get a dialog on pasting? You mean when there is a name collision?

paludis

Post by paludis »

When I copy/paste from mstsc.exe to the Desktop, there is a copy dialog, but it is not the default win10 copy dialog, it looks slightly different than the regular win10 dialog.

When I copy/paste from mstsc.exe to XYplorer, I get no copy dialog at all, but the files are still created. Additionally files are automatically renamed if there is a name collision, there is no collision dialog either.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Custom Copy is not supported when copying to or from Remote Desktop. Only the shell copy can handle this process. Windows actually has 2 different flavors of shell copy. XY uses one of them in this case (it uses the other one when copying to/from portable devices), Win10 apparently uses this other one. Both do the same job, so it doesn't really matter.
Additionally files are automatically renamed if there is a name collision, there is no collision dialog either.
This is internally the same mechanism that's discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12773

At the moment a collision dialog is not supported in this context.

paludis

Post by paludis »

When Custom Copy is DISABLED and you try to copy/paste a file from mstsc.exe to XYPlorer there is NO COPY DIALOG AT ALL.
None from Windows and none from XYPlorer. The files just magically appear after some time.

That is actually my report, I'd like to see at least the simple "portable device copy dialog" rather than none at all.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, I looked into the code and have to admit that my previous statement was wrong. What's happening here is not a file copy at all but raw bytes are transferrred and written to file (the "FileContents" stream you are seeing in your clipboard viewer). No copy dialog is available for this process.

But doesn't XYplorer show a status bar message like "n/m items processed"?

paludis

Post by paludis »

Thanks for checking.

There is no visible change in the XYPlorer window at all. The only thing that changes is the mouse cursor, which turns into pointer + small hourglass.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, I will look into this later.

paludis

Post by paludis »

Any update on this?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote:What's happening here is not a file copy at all but raw bytes are transferrred and written to file (the "FileContents" stream you are seeing in your clipboard viewer). No copy dialog is available for this process.
Thinking about it I already answered it above. Having some kind of progress feedback for this sort of process would be a new feature. So this should go to the Wishes forum. Sorry for being so formal, but it helps putting stuff to the right place.