Thumbnail while scrolling

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
XSreyfQT4hV6

Thumbnail while scrolling

Post by XSreyfQT4hV6 »

I am having an issue that has been in all the versions since i started using XY 18.5+
During the creating of thumbnails if i scroll before the page of thumbnails are loaded it stops the creation of the thumbnails until i get to an area that has no thumbnails. It creates extra scrolling just to make XY create all the thumbnails
The desired action would be always creating the first visible thumbnail until the entire folder is loaded. I know there is a check mark to force the entire folder but that isnt the desired action either as it goes in order. If i scroll down i want it to be loading the ones on the screen.
I hope this makes sense. If not could post a video or something.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Thumbnail while scrolling

Post by admin »

It does not create thumbnails *while* scrolling, but it resumes creation when scrolling is completed. Or?

XSreyfQT4hV6

Post by XSreyfQT4hV6 »

There are a few scenarios here. Scrolling when all thumbs on screen have been created or scrolling when some have been created.
In addition you can scroll to an area with thumbs already created and an area with nothing created.

What it feels like to me is when you scroll while it is creating the thumbs to an area that has a few thumbs already created it does not continue the creation of the thumbs on the screen. Leaving just a handful created and it not creating them. This is the "bug" it should continue to create the ones in the view-able area.

Ideally i would like to see it create all of them like the check mark in the options but prioritize the ones on the screen (not have to wait if you scroll to the bottom). In addition not really hang the rest of the system if i want to navigate away to another folder.

What i have to do now is wait till it is done creating them to scroll for it to work 100%.

*EDIT*
If this didn't make sense i would be happy to clarify or even show a video.

duarte.framos

Post by duarte.framos »

I have also been experiencing this issue.

Thumbnail generation is underway, some times if you scroll too fast past the currently generated part it stops generating and doesn't resume.
You have to scroll back up to that point and down again to trigger thumbnail generation again.

It happened, or at least it is more noticeable in, folders with a large amount of pictures.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, at the moment I fail to reproduce it, but I put it on my list.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

duarte.framos wrote:Thumbnail generation is underway, some times if you scroll too fast past the currently generated part it stops generating and doesn't resume.
You have to scroll back up to that point and down again to trigger thumbnail generation again.
I suspect it might only seem stopped while the generator is catching up to current list position. :whistle:
Look at the status bar. Does it stop showing thumbnail creation messages?
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

duarte.framos

Post by duarte.framos »

SammaySarkar wrote:
duarte.framos wrote:Does it stop showing thumbnail creation messages?
Ok, so I've been testing again right now with latest version 18.60, here's what I came up with.

XYPlorer is indeed generating thumbnails in the background most of the time, but the issue only seems to manifest when browsing a folder for the first time. Manually refreshing by using View > Caches > Refresh Thumbnails seems to behave differently from the regular thumbnail generation on first browse, since it appears to go from top to bottom in one go regardless of scroll position.

So after manually deleting all cached thumbnails files from XYPlorer/Data/Thumbnails and browsing the same folders with lots of images again, thumbnail generation is now a whole lot faster than before, but it does stop sometimes as indicated in the status bar icon.

Thumbnails this way are only generated for files "in view", and it seems to be linked to certain small window sizes where the top of portrait photos from the following line are visible but the landscape ones are not; so XYPlorer tries its best to catch up with position, but if one scrolls ahead too fast thumbnail generation is interrupted, probably as it struggles to keep up with the changing position.
Scrolling back up then down resumes generation again as expected.

Here are two files showing the issue on two different folders
Attachments
XYPlorer_ThumbnailStopB.gif.gif
XYPlorer_ThumbnailStopB.gif.gif (719.34 KiB) Viewed 2593 times
XYPlorer_ThumbnailStopA.gif
XYPlorer_ThumbnailStopA.gif (1.31 MiB) Viewed 2593 times

XSreyfQT4hV6

Post by XSreyfQT4hV6 »

This shows the issue well. Thank you.

I find the issue happens EVERY time i scroll before the visible screen of thumbnails is populated. If i wait until all are created then scroll, it works.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, but still fail to recreate the issue here.

XSreyfQT4hV6

Post by XSreyfQT4hV6 »

Is there anything that we could do to help you track it down?

I was also able to recreate this issue on a clean machine with a 20MB bmp i created in paint i copy pasted a few hundred times. Cleared my thumbs folder, turned off create all thumbnails at once. Set thumbs to #3. If i scroll no matter how large or small while the current page is being generated it stops creating them.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

How do you scroll, mouse on scrollbar?

XSreyfQT4hV6

Post by XSreyfQT4hV6 »

mouse wheel.

*UPDATE*
I am able to create the issue with the scroll bar as well.

XSreyfQT4hV6

Post by XSreyfQT4hV6 »

Any chance on revisiting this? Its a super annoying bug that a few other have confirmed. I would be happy to help however i can.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No chance since I could not reproduce it a single time. I have no idea what to fix. :|

XSreyfQT4hV6

Post by XSreyfQT4hV6 »

I can produce it in a brand new build of windows. If i produce a virtual machine(virtualbox?) with the issue would you peak at it?