Preview pane weirdness

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
tbm

Preview pane weirdness

Post by tbm »

I'm getting all sorts of odd behaviour trying to use the preview pane on video files.

Firstly most video files will generally not play at all (apart from .wmv). With .mp4 and .avi nothing will preview at all (just a static thumbnail with "XYplorer trial" overlaid). My default media player (PotPlayer) plays all formats with no problem, as does Windows Media Player.

But even when an .wmv does preview it appears on the far left side of my left hand monitor (I'm on a 3 monitor setup) regardless of which other screen I have the main app open on.

This is all with the Preview Pane (on the far right column) enabled. If I turn off the preview pane I get exactly the same behaviour but it all takes place in the lower Info Panel.

I'm on a clean Windows 10, 64-bit (10.0) install.

Do I need to install some codecs? (if so can you point me to a recommended one).

highend

Re: Preview pane weirdness

Post by highend »

With .mp4 and .avi nothing will preview at all
Do you mean, that XY is NOT able to preview those two formats?

Because when WMP plays them, XY should be able to do the same (the necessary codecs are installed by default under Win 10).

Regardless of that, try this codec pack: http://www.codecguide.com/download_k-li ... _basic.htm

Regarding the placement of the preview pane: Can't comment on that, it works flawlessly on my dual monitor setup
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

tbm

Post by tbm »

That's correct, XY will not preview mp4 or avi (WMP plays them fine).

Thanks for the K-Lite codec link. I'm probably going to stop there as my PC is used for audio & video production and I've had so many problems recently (motherboard just died so I've been reinstalling my entire system for last 2 weeks) and I've just about had it with problem solving right now!

I'll just live with it as it's not a massive issue and I don't think my sanity can deal with any more conflicts or troubleshooting at the moment - I just want to get back to work :)

What would be useful is if I can get media info like the video frame rate and height/width displayed in the right-hand preview pane below the preview thumbnail (which Windows Explorer seems to do by default). In XY I just see the thumbnail with no media info.

Probably just me overwhelmed by options and sleep deprivation!

jupe

Post by jupe »

I noticed something weird testing this (I'm on the same Win10 x64 FCU) when I enter the following

Code: Select all

text get("previewhandler", "mp4");
text get("previewhandler", "mkv");
It says no preview handler found, but when I enter

Code: Select all

text get("previewhandler", "avi");
text get("previewhandler", "wmv");
it shows Windows Media Player Rich Preview Handler, All my previews do work though, MDBU, Pane etc, are those results to be expected?

highend

Post by highend »

That the preview works is expected, those codecs are inbuilt.
But that the preview handler info is not listed for mp4, mkv: Not expected.
But hey, it's Win 10, the good old Vista under the MS OS'es...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal