Can't Drag & Drop To Certain Folders

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
laugust

Can't Drag & Drop To Certain Folders

Post by laugust »

XYPlorer won't allow me to drag and drop files to certain locations - e.g.: Documents and Desktop.

For example, if the contents of my Documents folder are visible in one pane, and I try to drag 1 or more files/folders to it from the other pane, XYPlorer won't do anything. When I try this, I get no error or alert. The only thing that happens is the cursor changes to a small circle with a line through it, indicating the action is not allowed. However, if I move up one level so that the contents of the User folder are visible, I can drag and drop files/folders on to the Documents folder, thereby moving them to that folder. Although XYPlorer won't allow me to drag and drop files/folders to a folder when the contents of the destination folder are visible, it does allow me to cut and paste them to that folder.

If I try to drag and drop files to the Documents folder in XYPlorer from Windows Explorer, that doesn't work either. However, if I drag and drop files FROM XYPlorer or Windows Explorer to the Documents folder in Windows Explorer, this works.

Based on the above, this appears to be an XYPlorer issue and not something related to Windows or file permissions. I did check the file permissions anyway and read/write are/were set for the directory and all sub-directories.

I am running XYPlorer 18.50.0.100 on Windows 10 Home v. 1607.

Any ideas/assistance is appreciated.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Can't Drag & Drop To Certain Folders

Post by admin »

When the cursor indicates that the action is not allowed, then no wonder it will not happen.

The question is: Why is it not allowed? What is the source path, what is the target path?

laugust

Post by laugust »

If drag and drop moving isn't allowed, then cut and pasting of the same content should not be allowed either - but it is. The same is true if I right click on the content to be moved and select "Move to Other Pane" from the pop-up menu. The source can be any folder. The destination is only some folders, but not all. Desktop and Documents are two examples where content can not be moved to via drag and drop.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I cannot reproduce what you describe, hence I asked for the exact full paths.

laugust

Post by laugust »

As mentioned, the source can be any location. I can't check every destination, but 2 where the issue occurs are the Desktop and Documents.
Again, this problem does not occur in Windows Explorer.

glusberg

Post by glusberg »

It happens to me as well, specifically when trying to drag a file from the desktop into xyplorer. My workaround has been to open a tab with the desktop, and that allows me to copy/move the files.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

glusberg wrote:It happens to me as well, specifically when trying to drag a file from the desktop into xyplorer. My workaround has been to open a tab with the desktop, and that allows me to copy/move the files.
This is a different case. Dragging from the outside *into* XYplorer only works if XYplorer is run as User, not as Administrator (UAC-caused). Does this explain your case?

glusberg

Post by glusberg »

It does! Thank you. Where can I read/get educated about the advantages vs. disadvantages of running one way or the other? I had no idea.

glusberg

Post by glusberg »

Does this relates to my inability to open folders by clicking on shortcuts on the desktop?

highend

Post by highend »

It should be the same, XY without admin privileges should open all desktop links correctly,
regardless if they are from the users or public desktop folder...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

laugust

Post by laugust »

I am still experiencing this problem, even with the current version of XYPlorer - 18.50.0300

highend

Post by highend »

Try the current beta version, v0302 got some changes that could
eventually fix your problems. If it doesn't work with it, capture
a video to see what exactly you are doing...

laugust

Post by laugust »

highend wrote:Try the current beta version, v0302 got some changes that could
eventually fix your problems. If it doesn't work with it, capture
a video to see what exactly you are doing...
Will try the beta. I was going to post a video, but don't see how to upload it. Any idea?

highend

Post by highend »

There is an attachment tab under the text edit window when you're
creating a post...

hubjf

Post by hubjf »

Hi !
Any news about your problem @laugust ?
(Because I have the same one...)