"Show Icon Overlays" removes OneDrive folder icon

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
elqasar2

"Show Icon Overlays" removes OneDrive folder icon

Post by elqasar2 »

With Windows 10 1709 16299.19 and XYplorer 18.50.0111, I have OneDrive's Files On-Demand feature turned off.
  • If I enable "Show Icon Overlays" then I see the overlays on my OneDrive items, but the OneDrive folder in the tree loses its folder icon. It has no icon at all, just a blank spot.
  • If I disable "Show Icon Overlays" then I don't see overlays on my OneDrive items, but the folder icon for the OneDrive folder reappears in the tree
Same thing seen with fresh XYplorer where that is the only change I make.
icongone.png
icongone.png (6.26 KiB) Viewed 4018 times

admin
Site Admin

Re: "Show Icon Overlays" removes OneDrive folder icon

Post by admin »

Holy moly, this Windows 10 gives me Ballmer deja-vus daily. I should just wait for Win11 when all this disappears again. If MS ever rolls out any documentation on this I can try to actually support it...

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

Have you done your Windows 10 upgrade yet and had a chance to look at this OneDrive icon issue?

jupe

Post by jupe »

I hope you don't mind me interjecting here, I don't have the problem you describe myself, but one thing that might fix it as a temporary workaround is entering something like below as an entry in your custom file icons.

If you want to try it, press Shift+Alt+F9 and enter this in the dialog:
\OneDrive\>%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

jupe wrote:If you want to try it, press Shift+Alt+F9 and enter this in the dialog:
\OneDrive\>%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe
Thanks, I tried it out. It updated the icon in the tab header, but there is still no icon in the tree. Even after forcing a refresh.

Even if this workaround had worked, there would be a static icon for the folder. Normally the OneDrive folder icon changes according to whether it is currently syncing or not. Right now what happens is that if I make a change in my OneDrive folder, the icon in the tree changes to the syncing one and gets stuck on that one. And then the next time I start XYplorer the icon is back to being blank again.

jupe

Post by jupe »

I could be off base here but some suggestions if you are interested: Windows limits the number of overlays to 15 I think, so if you have gone over that limit it may be what is causing you issues, check out this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIcon‌OverlayIdentifiers

and make sure you need all the subkeys, and that you haven't gone over the limit, also Microsoft use the full version number in the path to the icon in those CLSIDs, so if one of them is pointing to an old OneDrive client version, that could be another cause, you'd need to look up each CLSID under HKCR\CLSID\{whatever} to check.

Are you using OneDrive for Business, or is this normal consumer OneDrive?

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

@Donald

If 19.10 was the release to fix Portable Devices in Win 10, will 19.20 be the release that fixes the OneDrive folder icon in the tree in Win 10?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Probably not before you reply to viewtopic.php?p=159082#p159082 ...

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

jupe wrote:I could be off base here
Correct, it has nothing to do with Windows' own overlay limit.
jupe wrote:Are you using OneDrive for Business, or is this normal consumer OneDrive?
The normal consumer OneDrive in Windows 10.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Weird. You can't be the only one using OneDrive on Win10.

Anybody else sees this problem?

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

I can't understand why nobody wants to try it. It's so easy to reproduce. With a fresh XYplorer, you only have to check one checkbox.

Using a fresh XYplorer in Windows 10, expand the tree so you can see your OneDrive folder in the tree and its folder icon.
Go into Options and enable the following option:
[ ] Show icon overlays.

And the icon on the OneDrive folder in the tree disappears. Same thing happens on all of my computers, even on a fresh install of Windows 10. In the last 11 months, nobody wants to try this?

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

I have just checked on my Win10. The cloud icon doesn't disappear on Show icon overlays set. However, the icon overlays (the tick in green circle) don't appear. File Explorer shows them correctly.

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

Is there any other information I can provide or any debugging that can be done to solve this problem? The only thing I need to do to reproduce it in a fresh XYplorer is to go into Configuration and turn on 'Show icon overlays'. Immediately that causes the icon in the Tree to disappear. I have several computers running Windows 10 and I can reproduce this on each and every one of them. I'm using OneDrive personal, the one that comes built in to Windows 10.

It looks like the forum no longer allows images to be placed in-line. So both screenshots are below this. The Tree at the top, the List at the bottom.
Attachments
tree-onedrive.png
tree-onedrive.png (4.57 KiB) Viewed 3410 times
list-onedrive.png
list-onedrive.png (5.7 KiB) Viewed 3410 times

Leito

Post by Leito »

Can't reproduce:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'll look at this later. Win10 at the moment gives the impression of something unfinished...