Cntrl+C and Edit/Copy not working

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Jordan P-R

Re: Cntrl+C and Edit/Copy not working

Post by Jordan P-R »

mars?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'll happily add to the help file that file copy does not work on Mars. Won't lose too many customers.

Jordan P-R

Post by Jordan P-R »

Could security software cause this?

We are a very security-intensive organization; even if I knew what all the programs running were, I would get fired if I were to disclose.

I'm having a different issue involving file operations that I was going to post here separately, but perhaps it is related. The problem is intermittent and not isolated to XYPlorer, but is definitely much more severe in XYPlorer. Essentially, when browsing a mapped network on a Linux Beowulf server via, I'm told, Samba, I intermittently experience long latency, sometimes as much as a minute. Typically when this happens, at least recently, it occurs when I point to such a mapped directory for the first time in a while (say an hour or two) and subsequently no latency when moving around other directories on the server. There is typically no or minimal latency when I try this concurrently in Windows Explorer (an app that may have been written by or for users on Mars). Also intermittently, when a pane in XYPlorer is open to a directory on this mapping, it will suddenly switch to the "my computer" pseudo directory. To exemplify presumably related bugs experienced in other apps: using ultra-edit (in Windows) on a file located on the Beowulf server, I'll get a message that the underlying saved file is no longer available and do I want to keep the version in memory; in this case, I can just hit "save" and the link is re-established. I've also, much less frequently, had trouble opening Excel files located on the server. They are reported as corrupt or just crash Excel. But when I copy the file to a local directory and open, no problem (this occurs regardless of whether I open the file in XYPlorer, Windows Explorer, or directly from within Excel).

Because I experience the problem much more severely in XYPlorer, I wonder you might have any idea of what could be driving it. Do you think it might be related to the failed copy/pastes.

jupe

Post by jupe »

Jordan P-R wrote:Could security software cause this?
Yes, hard to diagnose if you can't tell us what apps you have installed. The clipboard can be disabled for 3rd party apps only, that could be why Explorer works, I think even just disabled through Group Policy, without even having some other 3rd party security software installed.

Jordan P-R

Post by Jordan P-R »

Turns out there are a couple of us on Mars. (viewtopic.php?t=16023)

As (you?) suggested there, checking "Configuration | File Operations | Custom Copy Operations | Use Custom Copy" resolves the problem.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the info! (Still wish I'd understand what's causing this.)