Cntrl+C and Edit/Copy not working

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Jordan P-R

Cntrl+C and Edit/Copy not working

Post by Jordan P-R »

(using XYPlorer 18.5 in Windows 10). Recently I've not been able to copy/paste files using Cntrl+C and Cntrl+V or Edit/Copy Edit/Paste in XYplorer. Right clicking and dragging still works. so does cutting/pasting. Someone else in my organization started experiencing the same problem at about the same time I did and so it probably arises from our heavy, ever-changing security suite. But I'd appreciate any thoughts on what might be causing this and possible resolutions, if nothing else to help identify what might be causing a range of snafus using other programs.

highend

Re: Cntrl+C and Edit/Copy not working

Post by highend »

Someone else in my organization started experiencing the same problem at about the same time I did
With XY as well?

Did you already reboot, that should normally fix this kind of issue...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Jordan P-R

Post by Jordan P-R »

yes, the other person is also using XYPlorer, to which the problem is strictly limited. This has been going on for about two weeks or so, through numerous reboots. I tried upgrading from 18.0 to 18.5, another hope dashed.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Do the copied files ever appear in the clipboard? You can check that by Edit | Paste Special | Edit Clipboard....

Jordan P-R

Post by Jordan P-R »

yes, they do show on clipboard

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That would mean the paste does not happen, or probably the file operation itself. But didn't you say cut/paste works? Pretty weird picture...

Any error message? Where do you paste to?

Jordan P-R

Post by Jordan P-R »

pretty weird agreed. yes cut/paste works (with the cut file showing up on the clipboard)

I'm doing everything on my local drive, simply copying something to a subdirectory. In addition to working with cut, it also works with drag and drop.

No error messages. Simply no file in destination.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Did you try start the app as admin?

Jordan P-R

Post by Jordan P-R »

I had and admin start it as admin: same problem. in addition, we were no longer able to right click and copy into a destination folder. back logged in as me, the latter still works. I also tried copying in XYPlorer and then pasting from the windows file browser, which works fine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Looking at the code I see one way where a paste could fail without message (namely when no suitable target control is focused: Tree, List, Catalog, Address Bar). The next beta will show a status bar message in this case.

Jordan P-R

Post by Jordan P-R »

definitely thank you for including in the next beta

Jordan P-R

Post by Jordan P-R »

I'm still having the same problem of the combination of copy/paste not working in XYPlorer. To remind, if I copy a file, either through the Edit menu or with Cntrl+C, and then move to a different directory and paste, either through Edit menu or with Cntrl+V, nothing happens. But cut/paste works fine as does dragging and dropping from one pane to another. Copy/paste also works fine in Windows Explorer. I'm currently using version 18.8. Back in October, an XYPlorer tech discussed adding a feature to help diagnose what might be driving this.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

As promised in 21 Oct 2017 09:53 I added a status bar message in the only case where I can see a copy attempt fail (no target control focussed). Do you see such a status bar message? (Assuming you are using the current version of XYplorer)

Jordan P-R

Post by Jordan P-R »

(I'm using 18.80) I don't think anything is showing. More specifically, starting in a top pane I copy a file and the status bar shows a green check with message "1 item copied to the clipboard". I then toggle to a bottom pane and the status bar includes the name of the file on which the cursor is located. When I attempt to paste, that file name flickers for an instance, but nothing else happens including no error message

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That's too weird for me. I can't even find a question to ask. This is just something that cannot fail. Maybe we should begin with establishing that we are on the same planet...