XYplorer freezes the system if idly left open for half a day

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Zekses

XYplorer freezes the system if idly left open for half a day

Post by Zekses »

It's been happening for 5 years at least and lead to at least some lost work.

Basically, you go home from work, come next day and if XYplorer has been working all this time, once you try to scroll or try to change folder (I am unsure which is the trigger, seems more like it's scrolling), the system has like 30%? chance to freeze completely becoming unresponsive to any input including ctrl-alt-del. And it's not drive spinup/spindown, waiting doesnt help, the system just locks up and physical reboot is the only way to get the PC to work.

This only happens after a prolonged period of inactivity. It's become somewhat of a routine for me to kill/relaunch XY each day but sometimes I forget and lose work. Can something be done about it?

Environment: Windows 7, last version of XY, a bunch of network drives in active tabset(unsure how relevant), mini tree enabled.

admin
Site Admin

Re: XYplorer freezes the system if idly left open for half a day

Post by admin »

Some people, including you, have reported this earlier (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14207).

But I still don't see what could be causing this. No program should be able to freeze the whole system, so this is at least partly a Windows bug. What's the other part is unclear. Since all (?) reports mention scrolling by mouse wheel, it might have to do with the mouse driver. What mouse are you using?

Zekses

Post by Zekses »

https://market.yandex.ru/product--a4tec ... sb/2405161
This mouse.

Pls note that for me it always happens after long period of inactivity. The reports about this happening just with network drives from the other thread are not my case. I have a lot of them in tabs usually but unless XY was inactive for like 12 hrs it never locks up the computer completely.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks. Currently I cannot see any pattern. We have to wait for other users with the same problem to find a common cause.

Zekses

Post by Zekses »

I doubt it will help, but there is nothing unusual in windows system logs, just that the shutdown was abnormal (written on the next start)
No driver failures at the time, no events...

There is probably one kinda relevant thing:
" Service "Information about information compatibility is starting"'
at approximately the same time. Maybe 20-40 seconds off. that is before the freeze
but it also started prior to that periodically

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Do you confirm that scrolling by mouse wheel is the (apparent) cause of it?

Zekses

Post by Zekses »

Very likely so. I can't be 100% sure in all cases (happened like 20-30 times in last 5 years) but scrolling certainly caused it most of the time

Zekses

Post by Zekses »

Could it somehow be linked to how XY reloads icons for newly scrolled items? I kinda suspect that the problem isn't actually mouse event, but new items in the view.

Zekses

Post by Zekses »

I am also fairly certain I haven't had this happen once without a period of inactivity that spanned a date change.
However long I've not been working within a single day - this bug doesn't happen. Once I reopen XY at the start of the day it will not freeze until the next day for sure.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Interesting case. I'm looking forward to see the connection between a date change and the mouse wheel...

Zekses

Post by Zekses »

IMO: it's probable that it needs to recalculate what's "recent" on newly appearing items and those still in view and adjust highlighting as such.

Obviously I have no idea how XY is programmed, this is just a random guess that could happen

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Zekses wrote:IMO: it's probable that it needs to recalculate what's "recent" on newly appearing items and those still in view and adjust highlighting as such.

Obviously I have no idea how XY is programmed, this is just a random guess that could happen
That's not a problem. It's done all the time when you have age-related display elements.

A system freeze is something else.

x5955498x

Post by x5955498x »

Hello,

Has there been any progress on this? I experience this bug at least once a week. I've narrowed it down to an exact scenario:

Windows 7, all updates
Doesn't seem to matter how long XY has been open, sometimes happens after a few days, sometimes happens after 2 hours
Work in another application, any application
Click back to bring focus to XY
Regardless of using mouse wheel or scroll bar in XY, attempt to scroll bottom pane of any tab
XY immediately freezes entire Windows UI, no keyboard or mouse response whatsoever. Windows is still running but nothing, ctrl-alt-del, nothing works. Only solution is to power down laptop and power back up.

I have experienced this bug over 100 times easily in the last 2 years. It's gotten so bad that I just constantly save anything before clicking back to XY. I'm just about ready to give up on XY because of it. XY is a great application but this bug is a real killer.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Might be AV that interfers when XY updates some icons after a longer pause (and the Windows system icon cache wants an internal refresh). Try each of these:
1) Exclude XY from AV
2) Tick Configuration | General | Refresh, Icons, History | Icons | Use generic icons for super-fast browsing

kinook

Post by kinook »

I don't have AV installed. I will try checking the other option (I had it checked, but also had only in network locations checked).