Portable File Icons Not Working - Win 10 x64 [Solved]

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Enternal

Re: Portable File Icons Not Working - Win 10 x64 [Solved]

Post by Enternal »

That does bring one concern though. Basically in the end, Portable File Icons is not truly portable as it still depends on the whims of Windows. Especially in the case of Windows 10 as it was never an issue on Windows 7. At least from what I can tell.

highend

Post by highend »

But this doesn't explain why XY's portable file icon feature doesn't work as it should.

The purpose is to override what Windows is enforcing on the user and it fails here
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

highend wrote:But this doesn't explain why XY's portable file icon feature doesn't work as it should.

The purpose is to override what Windows is enforcing on the user and it fails here
Yeah, exactly. So the fact that this is an issue on Windows 10 is just... odd. I'm going to play around with stuff tomorrow and see what caused it in the first place. I may have some ideas. Because if I can find a way to replicate, that would help Don find out what causes it and truly make sure the problem is isolated to make PFI truly overide what Windows is doing.

Anyway, heading off. But thanks!

admin
Site Admin

Re: Portable File Icons Not Working - Win 10 x64

Post by admin »

Enternal wrote:C'mon Don. I'm not a new user. Unless you already forgotten me.
I didn't forget you, but based on that fact that you posted the same thing in two threads, I opted for a thorough questioning... :mrgreen:

Enternal

Re: Portable File Icons Not Working - Win 10 x64

Post by Enternal »

admin wrote:
Enternal wrote:C'mon Don. I'm not a new user. Unless you already forgotten me.
I didn't forget you, but based on that fact that you posted the same thing in two threads, I opted for a thorough questioning... :mrgreen:
Well... that's a very fair point... :whistle:

*Gulps down some :beer:*

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Ah ha! Found how to replicate it. Stupid Windows...

Go to http://www.bandisoft.com/honeyview/ and download the installer for HoneyView. Install HoneyView. No go to Windows Settings > Apps > Apps default > Change Default Photo viewer to HoneyView. Portable File Icons should still be working in XYplorer. Now once again, change the Default Photo viewer back to Photos. Now Portable File Icons will no longer work in XYplorer. To fix it, just forcefully hit the "Reset" bottom in that same Windows setting page. PFI should be working again.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Enternal wrote:Go to http://www.bandisoft.com/honeyview/ and download the installer for HoneyView.
Hey, that's my city on that photo. (Don't blame me for the icons)

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

I know, right? It's such a pretty city. Full of green and orange fur! I totally want to give your city a nice big old hug! (But shouldn't XYplorer be able to override Windows? It's easier for me to use HoneyView as an example when I was playing around with it today butI could actually repeat it with Windows Paint! Yes, Windows Paint! Switch to Windows Paint as Photo viewer default and switch back to Photos and the problem appears! No 3rd party program required. You can't run away! MUhHAhAHhHAHhHA :twisted: )

(I was using HoneyView is it supports WebP and also has an included WebP preview handler for Windows.)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Enternal wrote:I know, right? It's such a pretty city. Full of green and orange fur! I totally want to give your city a nice big old hug! (But shouldn't XYplorer be able to override Windows? It's easier for me to use HoneyView as an example when I was playing around with it today butI could actually repeat it with Windows Paint! Yes, Windows Paint! Switch to Windows Paint as Photo viewer default and switch back to Photos and the problem appears! No 3rd party program required. You can't run away! MUhHAhAHhHAHhHA :twisted: )

(I was using HoneyView is it supports WebP and also has an included WebP preview handler for Windows.)
I tried that in Win 8.1 but it does no harm. So it's just another Win10 bug.

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Don, I heard there is a really pretty city in a town called Winten! You should upgr- uhh, I meant you should move there! I can then show you all the wonderful bugs and critters they have there. Remember to bring your xyplorer as you will totally enjoy using it to navigate the town!

(But yeah, just another day in a world of Win 10.)