Tab "Lock Location" is unreliable

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
aloishammer

Tab "Lock Location" is unreliable

Post by aloishammer »

I can't add much to the description. "Lock Location" works about 97% of the time. Sometimes, opening a folder inside a locked tab causes the location of the tab to change instead of forcing a new tab to open.

When this happens, if I use tab history to go back, that will cause a new tab to open, which is very confusing. I have to unlock the tab location, then go back, then lock the tab again.

There's no pattern to this problem that I can work out. It happens on all local paths (C:, D:, etc.) and it also happens in UNC network locations (\\server\share\folder).

admin
Site Admin

Re: Tab "Lock Location" is unreliable

Post by admin »

Never happens to me.

How exactly to you open the new folder?

aloishammer

Post by aloishammer »

admin wrote:Never happens to me.

How exactly to you open the new folder?
Keyboard. Up / Down to select the folder, Enter to open.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cannot reproduce. :?

aloishammer

Post by aloishammer »

admin wrote:Cannot reproduce. :?
I still need a fix for it.

It's a genuine bug that's affected me on several machines (all Win 7 SP1, amd64), on every release, from 17.60 through 18.40. Same as the network problems I've reported that only affect XYplorer.

Have you attempted to reproduce on the trial version? That's what I'm using while I'm waiting for fixes.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Could you post a screenshot of the whole XYplorer window before you press ENTER on the selected folder in the file list inside a locked tab, please?

aloishammer

Post by aloishammer »

admin wrote:Could you post a screenshot of the whole XYplorer window before you press ENTER on the selected folder in the file list inside a locked tab, please?
Sure. Trying Imgur.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

- Did you set Configuration | Tabs | Maximum number of tabs (0 = unlimited)?
- Did you use the tweak TabReuseTabs?
- Did you use the tweak TabBinding?
- Do you hold down CTRL+ALT (or AltGr) while you press Enter?

aloishammer

Post by aloishammer »

admin wrote:- Did you set Configuration | Tabs | Maximum number of tabs (0 = unlimited)?
- Did you use the tweak TabReuseTabs?
- Did you use the tweak TabBinding?
- Do you hold down CTRL+ALT (or AltGr) while you press Enter?
(Do these appear anywhere in the GUI? I had to open the config file to find them.)

Code: Select all

TabReuseTabs=0
TabBinding=0
I don't know what those do. They're not in the help file.

Max tabs is set to 0.

I'm not holding anything down. I'm just pressing Enter. I'm leveraging the fact that the tab location is—supposed to be—locked to force open a new tab. Also, do you mean CTRL+Enter? CTRL+ALT+Enter is assigned to "Open with..." and CTRL+Enter is "Open Focused Item".

I don't see anything in "Customize Keyboard Shortcuts..." that would let me open a selected folder in a new tab in any other way, by the by.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks. I must admit I'm out of ideas for now. The lock works 100% over here. :?

aloishammer

Post by aloishammer »

admin wrote:Thanks. I must admit I'm out of ideas for now. The lock works 100% over here. :?
It works 97-98% here. Would you consider adding some explicit code to open a selected folder in a new tab? Preferably in a background tab instead of foreground. Or, actually, options for both would be nice. I don't mind holding an extra key to trigger a "new tab" code path, so long as I can customize it in the keyboard shortcuts. For that matter, exposing the new Touch Modified Date command in the keyboard shortcuts would be nice. I'm a very keyboard-heavy user.

By the way, I can't find the thread where we were discussing the network issues. Has anyone made any progress on finding or fixing the problem where XYplorer locks up and tries to 'enumerate' file servers?

If not, I should add one thing: I've disabled the Windows "DNS client" (internal name "DNSCache") service on all the Windows-based systems I manage because it contains a rather nasty security hole and breaks RFCs. I perform all DNS caching on my local DNS servers instead of locally. That might help with reproducing the problem. And, again: "Assume that servers are available" is checked and "Pre-check availability of servers" is off.

... And I just noticed that "Jump to Setting shows a configuration entry called "Cache network servers", but there's nothing with that name in the configuration. Translation strings issue? Kind of confusing.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

By the way, I can't find the thread where we were discussing the network issues.
Somewhere in the top right corner of the forum is a link named "Your posts" which should reveal the one of your 8 posts so far you are looking for.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

aloishammer wrote:
admin wrote:Thanks. I must admit I'm out of ideas for now. The lock works 100% over here. :?
It works 97-98% here. Would you consider adding some explicit code to open a selected folder in a new tab? Preferably in a background tab instead of foreground. Or, actually, options for both would be nice. I don't mind holding an extra key to trigger a "new tab" code path, so long as I can customize it in the keyboard shortcuts. For that matter, exposing the new Touch Modified Date command in the keyboard shortcuts would be nice. I'm a very keyboard-heavy user.
You can assign a keyboard shortcut to this command in Customize Keyboard Shortcuts:
Miscellaneous | Go To | Open Folder in New Tab

Touch is already available as "File | File Special | Set Modified Date to Current".

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

aloishammer wrote:... And I just noticed that "Jump to Setting shows a configuration entry called "Cache network servers", but there's nothing with that name in the configuration. Translation strings issue? Kind of confusing.
Works here. Which language are you using?

aloishammer

Post by aloishammer »

RalphM wrote:
By the way, I can't find the thread where we were discussing the network issues.
Somewhere in the top right corner of the forum is a link named "Your posts" which should reveal the one of your 8 posts so far you are looking for.
Oh. Right. That was embarrassing. Thanks.