Error: This action cannot be completed because the other application is busy

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
FKF5482

Re: Error: This action cannot be completed because the other application is busy

Post by FKF5482 »

I don't know what else to tell you, you know better.

I'll keep an eye out and i wll let you know if i find something of interest in the future. :)

admin
Site Admin

Re: Error: This action cannot be completed because the other application is busy

Post by admin »

Thanks for that. :tup:

What you described there was probably both apps waiting for the same thing. Only you can know what that might have been. I know that Explorer is sometimes very slow at startup, but several minutes? Never seen that.

FKF5482

Post by FKF5482 »

Your last reply gave me an idea :wink:

This explorer "loading forever" thing was happening in the windows 7 as well. In both cases win 7 and win 10 i was using Icaros to show video thumbnails in both windows explorer and xyplorer. So that might be the problem-bridge between the two applications.

Next time the busy window appears ill try to disable icaros and see what happens, thanks :)

Lyon1

Post by Lyon1 »

-
Last edited by Lyon1 on 18 Apr 2020 01:10, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Lyon1 wrote: 04 Mar 2020 15:10 This seems to always happen on drag-and-drop to another app. Dragging a larger audio / video file to another app locks XY until the import is done.
Yes, that's what I expected: viewtopic.php?p=176619#p176619

AFAIK this is by Windows design.

persistentfool

Post by persistentfool »

I started getting this error about a month ago (May 2021.)
"This action cannot be completed because the other application is busy. Choose 'Switch To' to activate the busy application and correct the problem."

The only thing I can do is End Task via the Application Manager. This is very frustrating. I am merely browsing directories when this happens. Very intermittent - but when it does happen - it begins to occur much more frequently until I restart the computer. Then I don't get the error for a while.

Running most current versions of XYplorer (v22.00) and Windows 10
Attachments
my Xyplorer Error Screenshot.png
my Xyplorer Error Screenshot.png (20.28 KiB) Viewed 1793 times
Windows Version Details.png
Windows Version Details.png (18.94 KiB) Viewed 1793 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Windows introduced this some time ago. The conditions are vague. The documentation is zero. It seems to be related to mouse activity (clicks) while the app is still busy with other stuff. So the workaround is: click a little later. :ninja:

AleIT

Post by AleIT »

mannycastaneda wrote: 29 May 2018 19:16 I'm seeing this issue too. Any time I select a MSOffice file and it tries to generate a preview, the system seems to hang and then displays the message. If I hit either "Retry" or "Switch to" enough, it will eventually work, but it is annoying. Any help would be appreciated.
This problem gave me a headache for several months as it showed up all the time, preventing me from using XYplorer! :cry:

Finally, I seem to have found a workaround which, in my case, seems to work perfectly! Apparently the problem is actually mainly due to a crash related to previewing MS Office files, so I solved it by simply hiding the preview pane.
admin wrote: 28 Feb 2020 18:35 Found a way to probably fix it and say bye-bye to this "other application is busy" error. Next beta...
Reading the other posts, I saw that for other users the problem is not solved in this way, as it is also linked to other factors. But I hope that my experience can be of help for other users and for the developer for further investigation to find a patch or a workaround, at least for users who are in the same condition as me. For the moment, I'm very happy to be able to get back to using the best file manager for Windows! :kidding:

yusef88

Post by yusef88 »

when I encounter this message the list has to be in thumbnail view.
I mean a mysterious relation between message and thumbnails.
and the only solution is to kill XY in task manager
Attachments
xx.png
xx.png (35.52 KiB) Viewed 794 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This message is a bug deep inside the Windows image factory. But pressing the "Switch To..." button (by mouse or by ENTER) should remove the message, or doesn't it?

yusef88

Post by yusef88 »

it doesn't. I recorded my screen here https://filebin.net/10u91ufoifjkzj8u

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Next year I will move thumbnails generation to a background thread. Until then you can try this tweak: PreviewEarlyFactory=2

yusef88

Post by yusef88 »

unfortunately, tweak didn't remove the message.
noted that the message began to appear after uninstall K-Lite Codec Pack Basic

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Did you already restart Windows?

yusef88

Post by yusef88 »

ok, i restarted windows and the error is gone
thanks PreviewEarlyFactory=2 solved the problem