Error: This action cannot be completed because the other application is busy

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
abdulk

Error: This action cannot be completed because the other application is busy

Post by abdulk »

Hello,

I receive this error several times a day. Mostly when preview is enabled and a Word doc is selected. It's plain to see that the error fires while the Word preview is attempting to generate. Most of the time, I just click on the file again and the preview works, albeit a little slowly. I sometimes receive this while opening Word docs as well.
Error screenshot
Error screenshot
20170918-xyplorer-error.gif (5.23 KiB) Viewed 6313 times
Appears to be an OLE issue: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ages-using

Thanks,
Abdul

Filehero

Re: Error: This action cannot be completed because the other application is busy

Post by Filehero »

I do see this message too sometimes. But this is a very, very rare event, and I never found any sort of rule related.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Error: This action cannot be completed because the other application is busy

Post by admin »

Cannot do much. It's a thing between Windows and Office I think (and drag and drop).

BristolPete

Post by BristolPete »

I am having this problem regularly.
I'm using Windows 10 64 bit.
I have found that if I open Task Manger and then go to XYExplorer and then right click and "End Task", XYExplorer closes. I then re-open and the problem has gone.
If this a problem between Windows and Office then why does this solve the problem.
This problem never occurs if XYExplorer isn't running.
I think this may need thinking about a bit more - I know that correlation doesn't equal causation, but there does seem to be a link here.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

BristolPete wrote:I am having this problem regularly.
Doing what?

pluckthechicken

Post by pluckthechicken »

Hi, just a little nudge on this thread.

I've had this problem sporadically for a while. Usually 2-3 times a week but it can be up to 10 times per day.

It definitely does happen when trying to preview Office docs, but I've had it with other files too.
In the attached screenshot it is happening with a PNG.

Contrary to Abdulk, I've found getting rid of this window quite frustrating. The fastest way is to keep clicking "Retry", and after about 20 clicks the window disappears and the preview loads. Clicking any button in the dialog box causes the window to close and then instantly reappear.

It's a bit of an odd one. As Filehero said, it seems to occur quite randomly.

I'm running Windows 10 64-bit on a desktop and laptop, and this error occurs the same on both devices.

Thanks Don.

pluckthechicken

Post by pluckthechicken »

Screenshot
Attachments
XY error.png
XY error.png (102.87 KiB) Viewed 6154 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The preview pane is not visible in the screenshot. I suppose it is open on the right-hand side?

mannycastaneda

Post by mannycastaneda »

I'm seeing this issue too. Any time I select a MSOffice file and it tries to generate a preview, the system seems to hang and then displays the message. If I hit either "Retry" or "Switch to" enough, it will eventually work, but it is annoying. Any help would be appreciated.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's a mystery error related to drag and drop that's hauting innocent users since Win95... I know no fix for it. :|

mannycastaneda

Post by mannycastaneda »

This issue is making the program almost unusable for me unless I disable the preview pane. Just selecting any MS Office file generates the error, and for me it does not go away until I kill the process. Are there any settings which can mitigate this issue?

WIn 10 64 bit.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

You could try disabling Tools > Configuration > Previewed Formats > Categories > Office Files?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Found a way to probably fix it and say bye-bye to this "other application is busy" error. Next beta...

FKF5482

Post by FKF5482 »

Hello, recently the same "busy thing" appeared to me as well and i don't use the preview pane or have office installed.

But i've noticed something that might be interesting. I'm not sure i can explain this properly but i will try.

Sometimes for example when i open Windows Explorer, a loading horizontal bar appears at the top of explorer showing that its loading.

This might take from 5-20mins to forever...competely stuck.

Today this thing happened so i switched to xyplorer to avoid the weird loading. When i switched to xyplorer and tried to browse the busy window appeared. I 've pressed retry for 20-30 times and nothing happened. So i closed xyplorer using the task manager. When i opened xyplorer again the busy window appeared again and i could not get passed it no matter what.

Tha only thing that worked was to manually restart windows explorer and then both windows explorer and xyplorer were working normally.

So my guess is that when windows explorer goes "down" for some reason it takes xyplorer with it. Something both applications share maybe.

This happened in windows 10 using xyploer 20.80.0106 .

Anyway, thats all i was able to find for now, have a nice day :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sounds interesting but I don't think there's such a tight relation. Windows is multi-tasking for decades. AFAIK only drag-and-drop can tie apps together so that one is waiting for the other.