XY Seems to Hang onto Files a Little too Long at Times

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Dustydog

XY Seems to Hang onto Files a Little too Long at Times

Post by Dustydog »

Using "Lockhunter," I've discovered that XY hasn't been letting go of files recently - not often enough that I can find a pattern, but often enough to be mildly annoying. Example: I move a bunch of folders into another folder, it says, "Can't move <whatever> because it's in use by another process." and yep, after checking, it's XY.

Of course, a shut down, restart of XY solves it...but still.

I haven't had this problem in the past. Anyone else notice this recently? (Or whenever?)

admin
Site Admin

Re: XY Seems to Hang onto Files a Little too Long at Times

Post by admin »

Haven't noticed this here but if you find the pattern let me know.

Dustydog

Post by Dustydog »

This is a lousy bug report with its paucity of information, but hopefully you know what might be going on.

I just renamed a few files, deleted some interior folders, renamed the main folder, then custom moved (XYCopy) the folder to a different drive and it can't delete the original folder because, yes, it's in use by XY. It hadn't had any script operate on it - not even anything other than a slow-double-click rename done to it.

I've also noticed this when I've popped up the 64-bit menu and used, as an example, Bulk Rename Utility (hey, sometime's it's simply easier than writing a regex). If I send it to BRU from a file, that file will (sometimes!?) still be in use and not be able to be operated on. If I send the containing folder, there's not a problem. I can no longer reliably use the 32-bit AudioShell Tag Editor which I've had in place for months with great success because, not infrequently, XY is still hanging onto a file.

This is recent. I haven't changed anything in particular about my setup. I've got a pretty basic set of columns with size and count that are refreshed and cashed...and the tweak you suggested about not refreshing the tree in place - but that's been there for quite awhile. I guess showing the pink bar to highlight an entire line is my most recently used feature. I've made no particular changes to my computer as a whole before this started. I'm using Win 10 with the Creator's Update and current patches. I'm always in detail view.

I'm not using any of your recent features (not that they aren't nice). It happens when XY hands off to another program - even XYCopy. It's really beginning to cramp my style, and I have no idea what's going on. No other app on my computer is having trouble...so....

Anyone else? Any ideas? If it's just me (maybe), do you have any suggestions? This usually happens to me several times a work session, but never consistently enough to go, "When I do A, it always bugs on B." I wish I could repeat it reliably for you, but this is all I've got.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dustydog wrote:I just renamed a few files, deleted some interior folders, renamed the main folder, then custom moved (XYCopy) the folder to a different drive and it can't delete the original folder because, yes, it's in use by XY.
Just to make sure: Custom Copy/Move" is not = "XYcopy". XYcopy.exe is for used Background Operations, be they Custom or standard Shell.

So, are you talking about backgrounded Custom Moves?

And that "main folder", anything special about that? Limited rights...?

Dustydog

Post by Dustydog »

Yeah, it was a background copy done the usual way. But it's not a problem with that per se, it's a problem handing off files from XY and having XY not release them. XYCopy was just an example where it didn't release a file, i.e. XY not releasing the parent folder after a move so that it could be deleted by XYCopy.exe after it was done doing it's job. In fact, after closing XY, the separate XYCopy.exe (if I remember corrrectly) went ahead and deleted it on a retry? (I might be remembering wrong from another app - trying again always works after closing XY.)

Tell you what, ignore this one unless someone else is having trouble too. If I can get this behavior to work every time I do something, I'll get back to you. Go ahead and consider this dead unless someone else comments. I certainly don't want to waste your time on a mystery.

If you've done something recently that might be hanging onto a file, then look at that; I certainly have no idea what's going on at this point.

There were no rights or even length issues; it wasn't a network share - just disk A to disk B, about as common an activity as can be. I looked for such problems. XY is simply listed as having a lock on the file using "Lockhunter." It always releases after I restart/close XY, so it seems Lockhunter certainly has it right. It occurs to me that I do use a semicolon in many of my music folders, and sometimes there are extra dots - I'll look at that as a potential problem, but if it were a problem, I'd think it would have shown up long ago.

I do appreciate and respect your time, and I'm aware this is a really lousy bug report.

Borut

Post by Borut »

Dustydog wrote:[...]Tell you what, ignore this one unless someone else is having trouble too.[...]
Well, I am having the same trouble now and then. I have not reported it, because - similar to your case - I lack hard facts. All I can tell is that sometimes a folder seems to be blocked by XY, although at that time it is not to be found in the path of any tab of any pane in XY, as well as in no other open application. When I then close and reopen XY, the problem is gone. But, unfortunately, can not provide more help for debugging...
Win 10 Pro 64bit