XYplorer freezes frequently

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
JoeMarfice

XYplorer freezes frequently

Post by JoeMarfice »

This happens on all three of my computers. Usually it works just fine, but sometimes changing anything - moving a file to a new folder, for instance - causes XYplorer to freeze for tens of seconds. I can go do something else, and when I return it is often done and acting normally again. If I stay and watch, it takes quite a while to respond.

I've tried playing around with options like calculating folder sizes (even though the active pane doesn't have large folders present), and Enable Background Processing; it's not clear if any of these help, since the problem is sporadic.

Any clues on what the problem might be, or how I can test for the culprit? Windows 10 and Windows 7, XYP v16.30.

highend

Re: XYplorer freezes frequently

Post by highend »

You did exclude XYplorer.exe and XYcopy.exe processes in your antivirus solution?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

JoeMarfice

Post by JoeMarfice »

Using 3 different AVs (Avira, Win10 Defender, and whateverthehell I have at work, don't recall), so that doesn't seem likely, but Avira (this computer) doesn't seem to have any damn settings at all, AFAICT. I'll check with Win Defender soon.

highend

Post by highend »

Obviously all these computers must have something in common. At least you're using some
kind of antivirus solution on all of them.

https://www.xyplorer.com/download/xyplo ... nstall.zip
Download it, extract it to a non UAC supervised directory, start it.

Does that version suffer from the same problem (and it would be enough
if you can confirm that on either of the three pcs)?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

JoeMarfice

Post by JoeMarfice »

Thanks, I'll use that for a bit and see if it recurs.

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

I have the same problem when the valuable Show Preview Pane = Enabled and it displays any PDF on the worlds fastest production notebook with Samsung 960 Pro M.2 2TB NVMe SSD (MZ-V6P2T0BW), it comes to a screeching halt. It appears a thread need to be created to display anything in the Preview Pane so XY can still be used while whatever is being accessed/searched/rendered. :cry:
Computer/Systems Background = Expert | Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit) | Dell Precision 7720

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Same here.

Despite I am inclined to credit this to the OS account, majorly.
Never saw this happening either on win xp or win 7, but it's a big time visitor on win 8.1.
Please, guys, can you tell this happens after >2 days of OS uptime? 'Coz this is what I'm experimenting since EVER, after upgrading to win 8.1 on a fairly fast and reliable machine.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

SkyFrontier wrote:Same here.

Despite I am inclined to credit this to the OS account, majorly.
Never saw this happening either on win xp or win 7, but it's a big time visitor on win 8.1.
Please, guys, can you tell this happens after >2 days of OS uptime? 'Coz this is what I'm experimenting since EVER, after upgrading to win 8.1 on a fairly fast and reliable machine.
It's not the OS, it's how XY is handling the Preview Pane (per my example, there may be things if others are experiencing without having the Preview Pane or Preview displayed).
Computer/Systems Background = Expert | Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit) | Dell Precision 7720

JoeMarfice

Post by JoeMarfice »

Zardoz2293 wrote:I have the same problem when the valuable Show Preview Pane = Enabled and it displays any PDF on the worlds fastest production notebook with Samsung 960 Pro M.2 2TB NVMe SSD (MZ-V6P2T0BW), it comes to a screeching halt. It appears a thread need to be created to display anything in the Preview Pane so XY can still be used while whatever is being accessed/searched/rendered. :cry:
With respect, you do not have the same problem, since I never have that enabled, and my problem does not care about PDF views.

Please start a separate thread for your issue.

JoeMarfice

Post by JoeMarfice »

SkyFrontier wrote:Despite I am inclined to credit this to the OS account, majorly.
Zardoz is wrong to assume his problem matches yours. FWIW, my problem persists across Win7 & Win10 on the same machine, so I don't think my freeze-up issue is OS-related. YMMV; it sounds like the switch to Win8 is more than coincidental.

Did you change any settings when you reinstalled xyplorer? Assuming you did reinstall it, of course.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

JoeMarfice wrote:Did you change any settings when you reinstalled xyplorer? Assuming you did reinstall it, of course.
Well... you have a point, here.
I'm upgrading XY on a fairly regular basis (to my standards) since this 'new' 8.1 thing but right now I just opened an old xy v11 which I carry for old script compatibility reasons. Since it's more or less predictable the time when the problem will happen, I'll start some testing and report back within this week.
Thanks for your hint.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

JoeMarfice

Post by JoeMarfice »

highend wrote:Does that version suffer from the same problem (and it would be enough
if you can confirm that on either of the three pcs)?
So far, it does not seem to behave the same.

Now to pare away at the INI differences, to see if any of those are the cause.

Thanks.