XYplorer not accessible during network copying

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Zeta

Re: XYplorer not accessible during network copying

Post by Zeta »

18.90.0110 still freezes for me, not always but but during my last move from one HD to another it froze while the copy was ongoing an unfroze when it finished.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Argh.

1) So, this is unrelated to network, right?
2) Foreground or background operation?
3) Custom Copy or Standard Shell Copy?
4) When this happens again, could you check in "Process Hacker" whether it's still accessing unrelated folders?

Thanks.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

1) Yes, local discs, I don't have any network drives/NAS either
2) I use background processing
3) Always custom copy
4) I'll have a look

I just tried it with 10.9.0110. It doesn't always stall but if it stalls:
I just had it happen with a moving files between HDs (with and without XYCopy.exe).
After the move finishes XYPlorer becomes unresponsive while it's traversing folders on other unrelated disks (visible in Process Hacker) (it might be traversing the tree?):

XYPlorer / No - XYCopy.exe = Unresponsive during move => Unresponsive after move finishes

XYPlorer / Yes - XYCopy.exe = Responsive during the move but the copy dialog becomes unresponsive => Unresponsive after move finishes

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If network is not a factor here, then a lot more users (virtually every user) should be affected. But only 5 (thepusher, Leito, tedy, Zeta, CodySydney) reported in this thread (which is now almost a year old). And apart from you, none of them came back after my recent effort to fix it.

This seems to tell me that there is an unknown factor outside XY that plays a crucial part in this game.

CodySydney

Post by CodySydney »

I've redownloaded and will retry, thanks for looking into that! I'll let you know how I go.

Also I noticed when I reinstalled that it restarted the evaluation period from scratch, that's great thanks, Windows drives me nuts and there was a lot to like about XYplorer so I hope this bug has been squashed :)

CodySydney

Post by CodySydney »

24h and no problems yet, moved a Tb of data around and no issues. So, I'm your newest customer as of 2 mins ago. A little story for you, yesterday I had a serious problem with a Win 2016 server that had registry permission problems. Task manager wouldn't even start; neither would explorer and the start menu wouldn't even appear. Fortunately I managed to figure out a way to install XYplorer as a last hope and it worked!! I was able to at least get into the machine and rescue some files that otherwise would have been lost (last backup was a day old and it was a big day). That pretty much sealed it, now I'm putting it on the list of sanctioned apps for our company :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nice story. :biggrin: Thanks!

Leito

Post by Leito »

Finally had a chance to test the latest beta version. I compared the latest version (18.90.0100) with the latest beta (18.90.0119) in the same conditions (same config, same tabs, same tree... same all) by copying a 2GB file from my local disk to a network drive: results are far better with 18.90.0119! :biggrin:

Results:
  • With 18.90.0100: right after hitting "Paste", I got a ~20 sec freeze where XYplorer is unresponsive. After that, I am able to browse through tabs of local folders.
  • With 18.90.0119: right after hitting "Paste", no freeze and I am instantly able to browse through tabs of local folders. :mrgreen:
This is a very welcomed improvement, thanks for resolving this Don! :beer:

With both versions, I still get some freeze each time I browse a network folder during the copy. I suspect the issue might be caused in part by my network speed (100Mbps) because Windows Explorer suffer from some freezes as well. Windows Explorer does better though because the freezes last 3-5 seconds, while XYplorer freezes last 8-12 seconds.

tedy

Post by tedy »

I was not using XY for anything network related.
Today after I came across a buffering issue in windows default copy handlers (slow copy over 10Gbps link after the initial buffering burst) I tested robocopy with /J option and this resolved the issue when I copy large files to my server over 10G.
So in search for an easy to use unbuffered copy/move solution I decided to try XY again and eventually use teracopy/fastcopy handler.
Yet again, trying to open a network path (\\192.168.....) in a tab, XY freezed for couple of minutes but eventually opened the folder. After a copy it freezes again and when it comes to life, it didn't refresh the network path in the file list (empty). Hitting F5 immediately refreshed with the newly copied file.
This was(is) many years-standing problem with XY.
Win2016 Server, CIFS/SMB1 is disabled, I guess that's causing XY's attempts to always enumerate network devices to fail and the app freeze meanwhile.
Any hidden setting to disable constant attempts to enumerate folders for network only?

I'll have to always use command line robocopy to copy large files with unbuffered IO, or other unpleasant means.
P.S. Just to add - opening the network path(s) in WExplorer works almost instantly everytime.
P.S.2. When I enter an UNC in address bar and XY freezes, the statusbar says "Enumerating servers in network...". Why would it do that in the first place - I entered a specific UNC, it should just open it and not trying to enumerate (other) servers.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tick these and your problems are gone:
Configuration | General | Controls and More | Network | Pre-check availability of servers
Configuration | General | Controls and More | Network | Cache network servers

tedy

Post by tedy »

The checkboxes weren't checked.
I checked them, restarted XY.
Now it won't open the network share/UNC at all. The first time there was the delay again and finally "network location seems to be unavailable" error with Continue Anyway / Cancel.
The second try, with no delay it immediately throws the same error and doesn't open.
Example: \\192.168.3.15
Windows Explorer opens it immediately, as always.

P.S. The problem is "enumerating servers in Network..." in the status bar. CIFS/SMB1 is disabled, so ednumerating is unavailable in the network at all. Why XY tries to enumerate servers in network, it only should just open the specified UNC.

P.S.2. What seems to have done the trick for me (at least as a workaround) is checking "Assume that servers are Available" and "Cache network servers". Now XY opens the UNC with the speed of light.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I will experimentally add a tweak to skip "enumerating servers in Network..." but I don't think network browsing will work well with it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Let's make a test first. Try these two scripts (paste into address bar and press ENTER). Which is faster? Do both work?

Code: Select all

text get("network", 0); //NOT use NetServerEnum

text get("network", 1); //use NetServerEnum

tedy

Post by tedy »

No worries.
For now with the said two checked options, things seem to work fine, even when I try to load another IP/UNC, it appears instantly.
With CIFS/SMB1 disabled (as it seems comes as default in newer Windows versions..) enumerating would be a problem.
Now in Win2016 I have no enumeration if I go to Network. I don't need it anyway. SMB1 proved to be too vulnerable in the long run.
A hidden option in the config file would always be better than not having it though :) .
Now when this seems resolved and working, I'll wait for unbuffered custom copy so we can leverage the full capacity of drives and networks - a place where Widnows Explorer with its buffered operations make things very bad for large files copy/moves.

tedy

Post by tedy »

admin wrote:Let's make a test first. Try these two scripts (paste into address bar and press ENTER). Which is faster? Do both work?

text get("network", 0); //NOT use NetServerEnum

text get("network", 1); //use NetServerEnum
Both scripts pasted in address bar cause XY to hang (not responding) for couple minutes and both result in a dialog box with completely empty text box.