XYplorer not accessible during network copying

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Leito

Re: XYplorer not accessible during network copying

Post by Leito »

I could try WinDbg to see where the hang happens if you'd be willing to share the symbols files.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Generally yes, of course. But it takes some time to prepare this. It's going to be next month.

tedy

Post by tedy »

I think a related issue.
I think for a long time I observed this behavior, many versions, with custom copy/move turned on.
The commencing and the very operation of copy/move from/to network path (with copy/cut + paste) run fine. It's at the very end when XY would hang for a minute or two (the copy/move dialog still shown, at 100%). I can see in the status bar XY is trying to enumerate network drives/shares.
I turned SMB1/CIFS off long ago (security reasons) and I presume this might be the culprit for XY.
Why it would try to enumerate network shares after a copy when I haven't even opened any network share in a tab.. is beyond me.
Win2016. SMB1/CIFS is disabled (deinstalled through server manager) on all "affected" machines.
I got used to use only WExplorer for network needs but occasionally I make the mistake to copy/paste from/to XY and .. you know.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It might try to refresh the tree in case any folders were moved or copied. Do you use Mini or Maxi tree? There is much less refreshing happening in a Mini Tree.

tedy

Post by tedy »

No, using ordinary explorer-like layouts, tree and list in Details mode.
Maybe it's trying to refresh the Network node, you may be right. But in my case this causes very long hangs. I use windows shortcuts and lmhosts names to access my shares/machines and don't rely on Network in WExplorer nor enumerating the Network.
I guess I'll continue to use only WE for network operations. It's just sometimes I happen to paste in XY a network-copied item.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I silently added a little optimization to v18.90.0001. Have you tried it already?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

admin wrote:It might try to refresh the tree in case any folders were moved or copied. Do you use Mini or Maxi tree? There is much less refreshing happening in a Mini Tree.
I've had this happen too: when I move some folders from one drive to another,
XYplorer hangs for quite while it's accessing all drives, probably rebuilding the tree as you said.
This is with "Maxi Tree" , "Custom Copy" for all "Move" and "Copy" operations and Auto-Refresh enabled.

The hangs take so long that I sometimes use a 2nd copy of XYplorer if I'm going to do other move operations so I don't have to wait until the other copy unhangs.
admin wrote:I silently added a little optimization to v18.90.0001. Have you tried it already?
Update:
I just tried this after installing v18.90.0001 and I don't seem to be able to reproduce the tree refresh related hangs anymore.
Also this might fix another hang that happens when if you have a lot of folders and a big tree
that if you make a folder in the root dir, then decide to delete it again that it makes XYplorer hang too for a while (probably also due to refreshing the tree).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also while the move is going on the "Custom Move" dialog becomes unresponsive during the move of a file,
and only responds to actions/clicks in between files.
So if you move 5 files:
-) It'll hang on "File 1" while it's being transferred
-) Unhangs for a split second when "File 1" is finished and "File 2" isn't started yet
-) It'll hang on "File 2" while it's being transferred
-) Etc...
-) Note: Depending on the filesize and transfer speed, the hangs can become quite long

The most annoying part about this is that if you misclick and accidentally start a move you can't press the pause/cancel button since the dialog is unresponsive (which can be quite long on big files). You can only hope that if you click, the click comes through inbetween files or if that fails or is going to take too long, kill xycopy's process.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I just had another hang on v18.90.0200. Looking at XYplorer.exe in "Process Hacker" I saw it accessing folders on other disks then the ones involved in the file move, probably refreshing the tree. This was the first hang in a while though and it didn't last as long either, so whatever tweak you did improved it a lot.

Edit: After moving some more stuff around I still frequently get hangs, maybe less on smaller moves.

CodySydney

Post by CodySydney »

I've had similar problems, as a new XYplorer user, and it caused me to abandon the trial. It's a shame as I thought the software was otherwise excellent and gets rid of some of my File Explorer pet hates. But the network freezes were just far too common. Same symptoms as described; while copying to/from a network drive, the XYplorer app freezes completely and even refuses to terminate.

If they ever find a fix for this, I'd buy it for sure.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You should untick this:

Configuration | General | Refresh, Icons, History | Auto-Refresh | Refresh during file operations

Or did you?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

admin wrote:You should untick this:
Configuration | General | Refresh, Icons, History | Auto-Refresh | Refresh during file operations
Or did you?
For me this was/is unticked here.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There was indeed a bug. :bug: I try a fix in the next beta.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please try v18.90.0110 to see if it is fixed.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

admin wrote:Please try v18.90.0110 to see if it is fixed.
I've upgraded and I'll use it as normally and see if it still happens :tup:

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I must say upgrading from 18.90.0106 to 18.90.0110 fixed the sluggishness that got introduced in 0106 or 0104 or so
where it took like a ~second for the Custom Copy dialog to appear when I moved/copied files.
Now it pops up immediately again after I drag & drop.