Right pane columns aren't saving

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
highstream

Right pane columns aren't saving

Post by highstream »

I use dual pane as my default setup (XP Pro Win 10). One day within the past week my right side columns settings disappeared, in favor of what I take to be the defaults (name, type). My prefs are Name, Ext, Size, Created, Modified. I keep changing them back to those, but they soon disappear again, sometimes it seems even within a session. Saving the settings hasn't solved it. I wonder if this started with version 18, but am not sure. I do use CCleaner, but don't see where that would be involved. What am I missing? Thanks,

bdeshi

Re: Right pane columns aren't saving

Post by bdeshi »

Configuration > Styles > Remember list settings per tab is this checked on? Also look inside the "Apply to" button and make sure (at least) column layout is also checked on.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

highstream

Post by highstream »

Both show as checked.

I'm wondering if the problem has arisen only with USB flash drives. Wasn't before. Have to pay closer attention next time it happens.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Might also be caused by Folder View Settings.

highstream

Post by highstream »

I can confirm it's general in the right pane, not just USB sticks. Strange it's happening only in the right pane and out of nowhere, or perhaps out of version 18.

What should I check in Folder View Settings?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

highstream wrote:What should I check in Folder View Settings?
Whether it's enabled.

highstream

Post by highstream »

Yes, it's checked.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Uncheck it. Does it solve your problem?

highstream

Post by highstream »

It did at first. Then I rechecked Folder View to see what would happen. After a reboot it was ok, then the problem returned. So I unchecked it again, changed the settings and closed the program. Reopened and my settings were gone. Repeated.

To be clear, this is not the drives view, except for USB sticks, but once I go into any drive and view its folder/file list.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Then it's hard to explain. There is nothing special about the right pane. Everything is done identically for both panes. Are you sure that your settings are saved at all?

highstream

Post by highstream »

I thought saving was automatic, but I did try Save Settings a few times before posting and that had no effect. Anything in 18.0 that could have caused this? Can't say for sure it is that, but the problem did start right around the time I installed it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I would need a way to reproduce this.

highstream

Post by highstream »

So do I... Maybe time to start from scratch with a new install.

highstream

Re: Right pane columns aren't saving (now left too)

Post by highstream »

Just now, the columns quit showing on the left panel too, even after reboot. Just Name and Type, like the right side. I uninstalled with RevoPro (advanced clean), rebooted and reinstalled 18, then copied over the config file. Initially looked ok, except the XYplorer icon on the taskbar is blank white. Turns out there are two icons available under Properties and one works and one turns white upon use.

Update: Soon enough, right panel columns gone again. Sense related to using CCleaner, but have to check before-after.

Update 2: Did everything again, except didn't use config file but created settings anew. Looked fine for awhile, then right pane columns gone again, right after using CCleaner, but forgot to check the moment before.

Update 3: This time, looking before-after, the right pane columns disappeared immediately after using CCleaner. Note that previous times it wasn't right after running CCleaner the first time, but delayed, but this time was immediately after. Not sure what that tells us, if anything. The next step is not to run CCleaner at all.

Update 4: Unlock trial copy, then immediately the right panel switched from my settings to two columns (before-after). N.B. Took me a bit to catch onto this, but the strange thing is I had already activated the program on first opening, but it asked again on reopening (Buy/Continue) as if I hadn't. I didn't use CCleaner, but had emptied the trash a minute or two earlier and then checked that everything was ok. This is maddening.

Update 5: Did a system restore to the last known time when the right pane columns were there. Then replicated the last experience, i.e., immediately after re-activating the trial copy. Like last time, the program gave the active message on first activation, but upon reopening acted like it hadn't been activated. It was again right after the second time the columns disappeared. I have a lifetime license.

How are we going to figure this out? I should add that I'm not having problems with any other program and haven't for some time.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When you right-click the "Name" column header, what do you see? (which columns are listed in the popup menu?)