Right pane columns aren't saving

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
highstream

Re: Right pane columns aren't saving

Post by highstream »

Line numbers, name, type. My settings get rid of type and add a few, but they disappear upon reopening if not sooner.

I've also submitted the problem to CCleaner (Piriform) too, to see if the temporal relationship is coincidental or not.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

FYI, you don't need to run CCleaner etc or restart the PC to start XYplorer from scratch. In fact, you don't even have to uninstall XYplorer, honestly!
Just find and clear the <xydata> folder.

Finding <xydata> is simple:
  • If XYplorer's already running, simply enter <xydata> in the addressbar, and note the location.
  • If XYplorer is not running, go to the folder containing XYplorer.exe.
    • If there's a startup.ini file, it will point to the <xydata> path (usually %APPDATA%\XYplorer).
    • If there's no such file, <xydata> is a folder named Data in the same location as XYplorer.exe.
Just delete this folder, and XYplorer will be reset. Nothing specific to user settings is written to the registry* or anywhere on the filesystem outside of <xydata>.
(Another way to temporarily start fresh is to enter this into an existing XYplorer's addressbar: "::fresh;" -- this will open a new XYplorer instance with completely factory-default settings.)

* with the sole exception of the setting for opening folder with XYplorer by default or putting XYplorer in folder context menu. (neither are related in any way to your problem.)

In fact, I think your cleaner tools are not removing the <xydata> folder. But wait! You may not need to go that destructive way yet. Try this first:
Go into the <xydata> folder and delete the folder named Panes. Then restart XYplorer without saving (File > Restart without saving)
See if this solves your problem. (this will reset pane and tab layout settings)

No idea what's going on with your XYplorer icon though.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

highstream

Post by highstream »

Sammay,
I think you've missed the point of my running CCleaner or restarting XYplorer and uninstalling it. But let's leave that aside. The small type in your post is unreadable, and a search of my main drive, where XYplorer is, does not turn up an xydata folder. It's simply in AppData>Roaming>XYplorer (Win 10). I deleted the Panes folder from Windows Explorer and find that my settings show in the right pane upon opening XYplorer. That tells me that something has been overriding those settings. I have to go out now, but will check back later and see if they've held.

Follow up: Right pane columns didn't hold. Didn't run CCleaner or empty trash.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

small text resized back.
[ this user is asleep ]

highstream

Post by highstream »

I found that there is no folder named "Data" and "::fresh;" doesn't work with the Home edition (no scripting), which mine is.

In any case, I'm not clear why your method would get a result any different than a clean install.

Also figured out a likely reason why the left side set columns disappeared: the result of dragging a tab from right to left makes the left side as corrupt as the right.

highstream

Post by highstream »

I think earlier in this thread I stated that XYplorer was the only program I was having problem with. The other day I remembered that setting problems popped up around the same time with Word 2010 (Student/Home Office 2010). Specifically, the font, size type and line spacing setting flipped to default and wouldn't hold a reset by the usual save methods. I posted about that on the MS Answers forum site and got instructions that allowed me to fix it by editing the Normal style. I explain all this because I would like to believe there's a work around, another way of getting the right pane column settings to hold, just as they had done for some years before about three weeks ago.
Last edited by highstream on 03 Jul 2017 21:27, edited 1 time in total.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

highstream wrote:It's simply in AppData>Roaming>XYplorer (Win 10). I deleted the Panes folder from Windows Explorer and find that my settings show in the right pane upon opening XYplorer. That tells me that something has been overriding those settings. I have to go out now, but will check back later and see if they've held.

Follow up: Right pane columns didn't hold. Didn't run CCleaner or empty trash.
What if you rename fvs.dat in AppData>Roaming>XYplorer before starting xyplorer ?
[ this user is asleep ]

highstream

Post by highstream »

No, didn't work.

highstream

Post by highstream »

It looks like I found a solution and maybe the cause of this. I swapped in an 8TB HDD last week and moved what's on some of the other three non-system HDD's around, and pulled out a 1TB drive. The new drive now has all of my video and books. Since then, the columns I wanted are now there in the right pane. The reason I swapped was because the 3TB HDD being used for video was filling up. Back in July, I'm going to guess it was in the 75-80% range. Could that have been the cause?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I don't think that was causing it, but good it's solved now.