Error with ContextMenu64.exe

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
iamnemo

Error with ContextMenu64.exe

Post by iamnemo »

After upgrading to XYplorer 18.00 this bug appeared. After rightclicking a filename, and choosing from the displayed list the option "Show 64-bit Context Menu", a panel is displayed with the title "ContextMenu64.exe", and with the message "Could not close the previous instance of this script. Keep waiting?" The options offered are "Yes" and "No". On choosing "Yes" the panel disappears, and then reappears: on choosing "No" the panel disappears, but no 64-bit Context Menu is displayed. Before upgrading to 18.00, on rightclicking a filename and choosing the Context menu option the 64-bit Context menu always appeared. It would seem that this is a bug introduced by 18.00. XYplorer is running on Windows 8.1 64-bit.

bdeshi

Re: Error with ContextMenu64.exe

Post by bdeshi »

Most probably you've got a frozen/hanged instance of contextmenu64.exe behind the scenes.
Open task manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESCAPE) ad terminate all running contextmenu64.exe processes. That ought to help.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

iamnemo

Post by iamnemo »

SammaySarkar wrote:Most probably you've got a frozen/hanged instance of contextmenu64.exe behind the scenes.
Open task manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESCAPE) ad terminate all running contextmenu64.exe processes. That ought to help.
Thanks for the advice. In task manager I can indeed see the process 64-bit Context Menu Helper is running. When I end the task and start again I can again see that it is running. The problem is that for some reason it never displays the list of options as it did before upgrading to 18.00.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nothing in 18.00 changed anything concerning this menu. I'm working myself with 18.00 under Windows 8.1 64-bit and cannot see any of your problems. So I assume something else plays a role here. No idea what that could be. :|

iamnemo

Post by iamnemo »

admin wrote:Nothing in 18.00 changed anything concerning this menu. I'm working myself with 18.00 under Windows 8.1 64-bit and cannot see any of your problems. So I assume something else plays a role here. No idea what that could be. :|
Thanks for your reply. It is reassuring that for you this problem does not exist with 18.00 in Windows 8.1 64-bit. It means the problem must lie elsewhere, and is not due to XYplorer.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Does it make any difference when you tick this:
Configuration | Menus, Mouse, Safety | Context Menus | Hide shell extensions from shell context menu

pedrolagoa

Post by pedrolagoa »

Same here (2019.05) Version 20.0

Works after a reboot and randomly stops working. :cry:

Note: Please go to .NET e create a x64 version. It is about time :mrgreen:

tedy

Post by tedy »

Although it seems to work for me (using the standard menu, not 64 bit as default), is it normal that the contextmenu64 process stays in the background even after not using any context menus for a while?
Also contrary to logic, the first invocation of the 64 bit menu went smooth and very fast, but after that every invocation of the 64 bit context menu (from the normal context menu) takes a long time to show (maybe half a second)..
Such issues were always present for me so I never actually used the 64bit context menu helper. One of the issues I believe was XY loses focus when the 64 bit menu is shown and this caused some other issues I can't remember now.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A new version of ContextMenu64.exe is in the making... Let's wait and see how it works out.

pedrolagoa

Post by pedrolagoa »

I did a little "debug" and found out somethings:

After receiving this error message I'm unable to:
- Open context menu in XYPlorer and also Windows Explorer (WE)
- Run WE from its shortcut in Taskbar

WE opens from startmenu shortcut
Ending WE and ContextMenu64.exe tasks wont help

BUT, I've noted that OneDrive was "freezed", after ending its task everything comes back to normal.

Conclusion: Some incompatibility between XYplorer and/or ontextMenu64.exe and OneDrive :bug: