Uninstalling when XYplorer is set as the default file manager renders all folders un-openable

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
mtbk

Uninstalling when XYplorer is set as the default file manager renders all folders un-openable

Post by mtbk »

I had XYplorer for a few weeks before I decided it wasn't for me, and uninstalled it. I had it set as my default file manager as outlined in the FAQ:

Configuration > Other > Shell Integration > check boxes "XYplorer in context menu" and "XYplorer is default file manager".

When I uninstalled XYplorer through Control Panel it removed this default association and didn't replace it with explorer.exe, meaning every time I doubled clicked a folder (even from within Windows Explorer) an "Application Not Found" error was shown. This basically renders your PC unusable. Resetting default file associations doesn't work, and there's nothing on Google about this. You would have to find the correct registry settings (which are left uninitialised) and know what to put in them. This is pretty difficult for the average user, so to anyone that has this problem: reinstall XYplorer, and check then uncheck those Shell Integration boxes. This will reset Windows Explorer to the default file manager. It's hard to install anything when you can't open folders, but I found that right-clicking and selecting "Open in a new window" works for some reason.

I'm mainly posting this here because there's nothing online about this, and I could see it resulting in someone having to re-install Windows. Also it seems like it wouldn't be a difficult bug to fix.

For reference, I'm running Windows 10 Home.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Uninstalling when XYplorer is set as the default file manager renders all folders un-openable

Post by admin »

Thanks for the report. However, I'm surprised by it. Below are the 4 changes that remove any XYplorer shell integration, and they should have been auto-performed on uninstall. Don't know why this did not happen in your case.

XYplorer in shell context menu: Remove these keys:

Code: Select all

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Shell\XYplorer
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\Shell\XYplorer
XYplorer is default file manager: Set these keys to "none":

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Shell  -> "none"
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\Shell  -> "none"
Note that there is no need to set anything to "explorer.exe".

ward1

Re: Uninstalling when XYplorer is set as the default file manager renders all folders un-openable

Post by ward1 »

This exact same thing happened to me today as well. I'm trying to trouble shoot another issue so I uninstalled XYplorer. It broke my Windows Explorer app. Changing the reg settings fixed it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the report.

leomrozek

Post by leomrozek »

Basically same thing happening to me but it is on a Windows 2016 Virtual Machine hosted at Amazon Web Services.

Thanks for the tips and location of where it is at in the registry.

dsell

Post by dsell »

I had this same problem and have been searching for a solution for several days. Finally came to this forum and found the answer here. Checking and unchecking the Shell Integration boxes fixed it!

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Isn't it an absolute shame if you only find this forum after you run into some problems trying to uninstall XYP???
You missed the better half of the user experience that comes with this product.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Note that the uninstall procedure of XYplorer works flawlessly and removes all XYplorer-related registry settings (not more than 6 entries, all related to XYplorer = default file manager) automatically.

The issues some posters described in this thread only arise when you manually delete the program instead of using the uninstall procedure.

goodnewz

Post by goodnewz »

No so. I used the uninstall module that installed with the program and I also began receiving the same error and was not able to access window file explorer. Very frustrating.

highend

Post by highend »

I did the following:

Installed the current official XY
Started it with admin permissions
Configuration | Other | Shell Integration | Default File Manager | Scope
For all users of this computer
[x] Configuration | Other | Shell Integration | Default File Manager | XYplorer in shell context menu
[x] Configuration | Other | Shell Integration | Default File Manager | XYplorer is default file manager
Saved settings and exited
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shell
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Drive\shell
The default values were set to "XYplorer"

Now regardless if you (manually) invoke the uninstall.exe with admin permissions
or not, these two default values are NOT reset to "none" when
the uninstall.exe has finished it's job...

If you do the exact same thing with the "Only for the current user" scope,
the default values (in HKEY_CURRENT_USER) get reset correctly.
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Aaah!!! That's it! Very good, thanks! :tup: Fixed with next beta.

kodyman

Post by kodyman »

I just started having somewhat of a similar problem. Except it was NOT after un-installing XYp.
After reading, if this need to be it's own separate post let me know and I'll change it.

I was running 18.50.0300 and updated to 18.50.0305 after reading the above but it didn't help.
I have a few shortcuts to certain folders on my desktop. In the past I have been able to double-click on any of them and they would open in XYp.
Now when I double-click I get:
xyp app not found.png
xyp app not found.png (8.39 KiB) Viewed 4047 times
I tried highend's suggestion above in admin mode. Then went back in admin mode and turned them back on and exited with save. Still the same results.

Thinking maybe it being a shortcut could be part of the problem I copied the entire folder to the desktop. Same error popup when I double-click or try to open in XYp with right-click.
If I open by right-click in WinExplorer it's ok.

Something else. Now if I try to open ANY folder in WinExplorer I now get the above error pop-up. Used to be it would open XYp.
If I open XYp in admin or non-admin modes I am able navigate to and open any folder.

I tried with a ::Fresh instance. Same results.

I have not installed any new programs since this started happening. The only thing I did do was extract a zip version of XYp to a USB thumdrive to use as a portable copy.

I am on Win 7 x64 machine. XYp has worked fine for years in the past on here.
I have not re-booted my machine yet to see if that helps.

Thoughts?

highend

Post by highend »

01. The installation path of your XY instance
02. The registry values from:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Directory\Shell\XYplorer\Command
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Drive\Shell\XYplorer\Command

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\Shell\XYplorer\Command
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Drive\Shell\XYplorer\Command

kodyman

Post by kodyman »

My install path on my dedicated version I have used from the start is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer\XYplorer.exe

I checked the registry and of the four you ask about there are only two I could locate.

Key Name:          HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Directory\Shell\XYplorer\Command
Class Name:        <NO CLASS>
Last Write Time:   12/1/2017 - 3:56 PM
Value 0
  Name:            <NO NAME>
  Type:            REG_SZ
  Data:            "I:\XYplorer.exe" "%1"

Key Name:          HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Drive\Shell\XYplorer\Command
Class Name:        <NO CLASS>
Last Write Time:   12/1/2017 - 3:56 PM
Value 0
  Name:            <NO NAME>
  Type:            REG_SZ
  Data:            "I:\XYplorer.exe" "%1"
I am by no means knowledgeable on the inner workings of the registry but if I had to guess, it appears that when I unzipped a copy to the USB drive the registry somehow got changed to that drive. Drive "I" was the letter the USB had been assigned to.

How this happened is a mystery to me. Correct me if I did this incorrectly.
I extracted a copy of xyplorer_full_noinstall.zip from my main machine to the thumb drive "I". I did not select install.
I am certain it was the non-install version because I keep no-install copies of programs in a separate directory so I do not confuse the versions.

I did the exact same way once before on a different USB drive "H" without a hitch.

Anyway, s*** happens. If I change the "i" references in the registry back to "c" is that enough to get me back to where I was?
Or are there also other things in play that should be addressed?

Thanks!

highend

Post by highend »

Then went back in admin mode and turned them back on and exited with save. Still the same results.
You didn't. Or you did and turned them off afterwards but did not mention that
How this happened is a mystery to me
This isn't a mystery. You did the procedure with the copy on the stick for the current user scope (with non-admin
privileges). The registry entries don't lie about this :mrgreen:
If I change the "i" references in the registry back to "c" is that enough to get me back to where I was?
Switch both back to C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer\XYplorer.exe