Cannot Drag Attachments to Outlook 2013

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
terminix

Cannot Drag Attachments to Outlook 2013

Post by terminix »

I have not been able to drag attachments from XYplorer to an Outlook email ever since I upgraded to Microsoft Outlook 2013.

Windows 10 Enterprise (10586.916)
Microsoft Outlook 2013 (15.0.4919.1001)
XYplorer 17.90

Note that there are two ways to drag an attachment into an Outlook dialog box:
1) Drag the attachment to the BODY of the email (where the text is). If this is the first attachment to the email, the "Attached" box will appear under the "Subject" box to show the new attachment. This is where any subsequent attachments appear too.
2) Drag the attachment to the "Attached" box that appears after you have already attached another file.

I am able to perform #2 above (when the first attachment already exists in the email), but I am NOT able to perform #1 above when I am trying to attach the first attachment to an email and the "Attached" box does not appear yet.

This worked fine under Windows 7 and Outlook 2010, but does not work under Windows 10 and Outlook 2013. My (very annoying) workaround has been to right click on the folder tab in XYplorer, Copy Path, paste the path in an Explorer instance, and drag the file I want from Explorer to the email to attach the first file.

RalphM

Re: Cannot Drag Attachments to Outlook 2013

Post by RalphM »

Hi Terminix

Welcome to the forums!

I do drag/drops from XY to Outlook 2013 all the time (both ways you described) without any trouble.
Could it be that you switched to the 64bit version of Outlook when you upgraded to its 2013 version?
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

terminix

Post by terminix »

RalphM,

You are correct, my Office 2013 instance is in fact 64 bit. Could this be causing the problem / is this a known issue?

Thanks!

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Problems like this are usually caused by some "bitness"-problems and with XY being and probably staying a 32bit application (for more info on this please search the forum, there's plenty of threads about it).
Is there a particular reason you decided to install the 64bit version of Outlook?
Unless you are working with really big Office files where memory becomes a problem, I think it was even MS's recommendation to install the 32bit versions even on 64bit OS (which I did and never had a problem with it so far).
As to whether there might be a solution for your particular problem I don't have an idea at the moment but maybe others here will chime in.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Note that dragging between apps of different bitness is generally no problem. But here we are talking about Outlook, and with Outlook usually everything is different from normal. :roll:

terminix

Post by terminix »

RalphM wrote:Problems like this are usually caused by some "bitness"-problems and with XY being and probably staying a 32bit application (for more info on this please search the forum, there's plenty of threads about it).
Is there a particular reason you decided to install the 64bit version of Outlook?
Unless you are working with really big Office files where memory becomes a problem, I think it was even MS's recommendation to install the 32bit versions even on 64bit OS (which I did and never had a problem with it so far).
As to whether there might be a solution for your particular problem I don't have an idea at the moment but maybe others here will chime in.
Got it. I use 64 bit office since I regularly handle massive excel files that require the extra ram 64 bit excel is able to access.

A workaround that seems to work is to copy+paste the file into the body of the email rather than drag it.

xyplorerköln

Re: Cannot Drag Attachments to Outlook 2013 (and 2016)

Post by xyplorerköln »

Has anyone told Donald today that he's coded one of the best pieces of software in history?

I am purposefully phasing out my use of Windows File Explorer and trying to replace all its functions via XYplorer.

One key thing that is not working is dragging attachments from XYplorer to Outlook 2016 (64-bit). Downgrading to 32-bit Outlook isn't an option due to some custom add-ins and integrations that require 64-bit.

It's true that users can copy/paste, but dragging attachments from a file folder environment to Outlook is such a common, basic use case in Windows (going back to 1998 at least, I think) that most users just inherently expect it to work. If XYplorer doesn't respond (it looks like it allows drag-drop, but then nothing happens), it just makes XYplorer look buggy - even if Outlook is the culprit.

Any possibility of a fix?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Did you already try to use
Configuration > Other > Shell Integration > Drag and Drop > Use standard shell drag and drop
?

xyplorerköln

Post by xyplorerköln »

admin wrote:Did you already try to use
Configuration > Other > Shell Integration > Drag and Drop > Use standard shell drag and drop
?
Thank you, Don! Yes, "Use standard shell drag and drop" is already checked.

Just did some more testing, and: It seems that drag-and-drop to Outlook from XYplorer does work for some file types (for example, a .png or a .url file). But the most common type I drag-and-drop is a .zip file, and .zip files won't attach to an Outlook message from XYplorer (while they will from Windows FE).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, that's new. Can't explain. :om: