Error when opening new created files with xls/xlsx extension from built-in right-click menu

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
funnybones

Error when opening new created files with xls/xlsx extension from built-in right-click menu

Post by funnybones »

When creating new custom files with xls/xlsx extension from built-in right-click menu, the generated files couldn't be opened normally by Microsoft Excel. Messages will pops up, saying these files are corrupt.

By the way, I couldn't find where to call out the right-click menu included with Windows OS when right-clicking the blank area. Windows right-click menu only comes up when right-clicking the files or folders. Why not provide the native right-click menu in the blank area?

highend

Re: Error when opening new created files with xls/xlsx extension from built-in right-click menu

Post by highend »

Why not provide the native right-click menu in the blank area?
You mean the one with "View, Sort by, Group by, etc.)?
These entries activate functions in Windows Explorer, they are useless in XY

The lower part of these entries are visible when a tweak is used:
CEA_ListRightClickOnWhite=3

But this is a "reserved" setting so don't expect too much of it...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Re: Error when opening new created files with xls/xlsx extension from built-in right-click menu

Post by admin »

funnybones wrote:When creating new custom files with xls/xlsx extension from built-in right-click menu, the generated files couldn't be opened normally by Microsoft Excel. Messages will pops up, saying these files are corrupt.
:? XY does not come with a right-click command to create new XLS files. Which command did you use?

funnybones

Post by funnybones »

I choosed from the right-clicked menu: "new">"new files...", and then in the pop-up window I typed in a filename with xls/xlsx extension, eg. new.xlsx.

highend

Post by highend »

Do this instead:

Right click menu > New Items > Go to New Items Folder

Open Excel.
Save a new document in the folder you just opened in XYplorer. E.g. as "New document.xlsx"
Close Excel.
And whenever you want to create a new .xlsx from now on you invoke the right click menu > New Items > New document.xlsx
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

funnybones

Post by funnybones »

Thank you for your answer. This indeed could work. But still hope this program could provide option of OS right-click menu.

funnybones

Post by funnybones »

continue bumping until the offical answer comes!!

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Hm - non-official answer here.

Don could replace "New Text File" by "New Xlsx File".
But those wanting .xls wouls complain. Just as those wanting .doc, .docx, .pdf, whatever.
OK: those most often using "Text File" too.

So Don could add a new categorie, containing new files for all of those file types.
He could name the category "New Items". And, to give you the ability to define those "New Files", let you define them by you, just as you like.

Hm - seems I constructed just what's there already.
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

funnybones wrote:Thank you for your answer. This indeed could work. But still hope this program could provide option of OS right-click menu.
highend provided all the answers/solutions existing:

1) OS right-click menu: CEA_ListRightClickOnWhite=3
2) Infinite options (sow once, harvest forever): New Items menu.

ihot01

Post by ihot01 »

I'm a newbie and a new believer in XY !! I'll be paying customer after trial.
I plan on bragging about XY to my friends in IT. I've over 30 years experience as programmer!

Wow, this works.
I select any blank space in folder, select Right-Click-menu> New Items.
Folder C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\XYplorer\NewItems pops up.
I save a blank Excel and a blank Word doc into that folder.
I had to restart XY.
The next time I select any blank space in folder, select Right-Click-menu> New Items, I see:

those 2 blank Excel and Word docs as options.

Quick question:
I don't understand how to execute these steps given by Admin.
1) OS right-click menu: CEA_ListRightClickOnWhite=3
2) Infinite options (sow once, harvest forever): New Items menu.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1) CEA_ListRightClickOnWhite=3
That's a tweak: You manually edit the INI file. See here for how to do it right: https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=tweak

2) Well, check out the Help for "New Items Menu".