XYPlorer Not Working

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
davidwtc

XYPlorer Not Working

Post by davidwtc »

Over the last couple of weeks, XYPlorer 17.90.0100 has crashed frequently, several times a day, with the "XYPLorer has stopped working" popup.

I am running Win 10 pro, 64 bit. I tend to open XYPlorer and leave it open, normally opened to OneDrive for Business folders. The popup may come when I am active in a different (non-XYPlorer) window but more frequently when I try to do something in XYPlorer such as change open folders.

I don't close the tabs very often. Could that be the problem?

I have to say, I love XYPlorer and have used it for several years. My lifetime subscription is one of my best-ever software purchases, although I am sure I don't use this powerful program to its full potential. Thanks for the support.

UPDATE: I see this issue has been addressed before. I did not read enough pages back to see it before I posted here. Sorry. :oops:

davidwtc

Re: XYPlorer Not Working

Post by davidwtc »

I tried the fixes on the previous thread. XYpPlorer does not crash as often (down to 1-2 times a day), but it just crashed again. The program was just sitting there on the screen. I had done nothing other than the completely unrelated action of closing a browser tab. XYplorer itself was idle whent he dreaded "XYplorer not working" splash screen appeared. I have no idea what to try next.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hm, it doesn't do that usually.

Check out this, it's the only thing that comes to mind:
https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=ctxcrash

davidwtc

Post by davidwtc »

I followed the suggestion. I already had the Hide Shell extensions checked. Still, I downloaded the shell view software and tried the disable each shell extension, one after the other. I continue to have the problem. It happens seemingly randomly, mostly when I click on a file to open it (pdf or docx), but also it happens on occasion just out of the blue when I am in another program. Baffling.

It crashes 3 to 6 times a day. I love the program when it works.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please try to untick this: Configuration | File Info Tips | Show file info tips

(Just trying to narrow it down...)

davidwtc

Post by davidwtc »

Thanks. I will let you know what happens.

davidwtc

Post by davidwtc »

I followed your latest suggestion in the configuration menu. I just had the same problem, this time when clicking on a word document to open it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

So you just double-click a word file in the file list and XY crashes right away? No preview open anywhere in XY (Preview tab, Preview pane, Floating preview)?

davidwtc

Post by davidwtc »

Correct. No preview open anywhere.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Crashes everytime or sometimes?

davidwtc

Post by davidwtc »

It crashes several times a day (I keep it active constantly), but does not crash every time I access it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

So it crashes sometimes but not predictably, and sometimes when double-clicking a word file, sometimes on other occasions.

Currently I'm out of ideas. :(

davidwtc

Post by davidwtc »

I may be speaking too soon, but I went back and went through the shell program to disable shells. I found one that I think was installed roughly the time I remember the problem starting. I have disabled it (and one other that was there for longer, but unimportant)) and everything seems to be stable. The prime suspect is: "Dragon Web Extension For Internet Explorer"

I am glad to the XYplorer back. The program is important to me with the way I work.

Thanks for your help.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the info, and welcome back!