Custom file info tip field definitions being lost?

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Borut

Custom file info tip field definitions being lost?

Post by Borut »

I am using XY in a portable mode under both Win7 and WinXP, each day copying the settings (all changed files) between the two computers.

The following is about the settings under F9 > Information > File Info Tips.

If I check some fields from "Show custom file info tips" under Win7 (German locale; say Name, Größe, Änderungsdatum, Besitzer), everything works as expected.

When I then start the same XY under WinXP, none of these fields are checked anymore. OK, probably some, or even all of these fields are not meaningful under WinXP, I am not sure of that. But, when I then again come to my Win7 computer and copy the settings to it, these are still unchecked.

What I want to say is, that these settings are being lost under such a scenario.

This is quite a long time issue, abut which I simply did not want to report until now. However, since it happens every day for me, I wonder if anything could be done about it.
Win 10 Pro 64bit

admin
Site Admin

Re: Custom file info tip field definitions being lost?

Post by admin »

The point here is that each Windows version comes up with a totally new version of this: a different number of fields, different order, different fields. So XY starts from scratch with this setting when you switch Windows versions instead of running the risk of trying an impossibly complex porting.

Borut

Post by Borut »

Thanks for the explanation. M$ business as usual :( .

But, can you for such cases perhaps make the WinVer a part of the checked fields list key, so that only those would be taken, which correspond with WinVer on which XY is currently running? Just thinking aloud...
Win 10 Pro 64bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think I mentioned something about "impossibly complex"... :whistle:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Borut wrote:But, can you for such cases perhaps make the WinVer a part of the checked fields list key, so that only those would be taken, which correspond with WinVer on which XY is currently running? Just thinking aloud...
Whoops, took me some days to understand your idea (100% my fault). Yes, that would be a possibility. But low prio, and not that easy to do. It would be easier to add something to scripting that allows you to set the whole definitions by one command.