Folder View problem

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
chakkra

Folder View problem

Post by chakkra »

Hi there,

since it's possible to always find new awesome features in this great tool, I stumbled over Folder View today.
So far I didn't really need it.
But after getting more into stuff with graphics, I was now looking for a possibility to save different view settings for different folders.
According to the feature list this should work easily.

As long as I only use one Tab, it works as adverstised (activated FV, autosave, 'Small Tiles' view): I can go back into the previous folder, go somewhere else and come back and the it's still showing 'Small Tiles' view instead of my (default) 'Details' view.

But immediately when I use another Tab in the same Pane or the another Pane, it doesn't work anymore.

Scenario 1: Only one tab was used in which everything worked as advertised.
  • I change all the view settings to make the 'Small Tiles' view folder look how I'd like it to look
  • Open New Tab: The new tab uses the default view 'Details' view
  • When going back to the 'Small Tiles' view folder, this folder got reverted to the default view 'Details' as well
Scenario 2: Multiple tabs are allready open
  • I change all the view settings to make the 'Small Tiles' view folder look how I'd like it to look
  • When clicking on another open Tab in the same Pane, all other Tabs inherited that 'Small Tiles' view as well instead of using the previous default view 'Details' that they used before I changed the tab withthe 'Small Tiles' folder
  • If I revert back to 'Details' in one of those Tabs, it also reverts the 'Small Tiles' view folder back to 'Details' despite the Folder View option still enabled (the 'F' is still highlighted)
Scenario 3: Multiple tabs are allready opened in both Panes
  • When clicking on another open Tab in the other Pane and then maneuver to the 'Small Tiles' View folder, it still shows the default 'Details' view instead of the 'Small Tiles' view despite the Folder View option still enabled (the 'F' is still highlighted)
Am I doing something wrong here or is that actually a bug?

Thank you!
Last edited by chakkra on 04 May 2017 19:02, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Folder View problem

Post by admin »

Note that tab settings always overwrite Folder View Settings. Folder View Settings rule when you change location within a tab.

chakkra

Post by chakkra »

Thx for the quick answer.

Is there a way to change that? I'd really love to use those folder specific setting. But I can't work without using tabs at all :-/

And if I understand you correctly, shouldn't scenario 3 happen at all then with your explanation?
Because I changed location in the other pane to the folder with Folder View settings enabled and it still didnt show those settings.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

chakkra wrote:Thx for the quick answer.

Is there a way to change that? I'd really love to use those folder specific setting. But I can't work without using tabs at all :-/

And if I understand you correctly, shouldn't scenario 3 happen at all then with your explanation?
Because I changed location in the other pane to the folder with Folder View settings enabled and it still didnt show those settings.
1. No, this won't be changed. It's a fundamental design decision.

2. Correct, this should not happen. And it does no happen here. Are you sure you saved the Folder View Settings after changing them?

Display

Post by Display »

I too want to work with Folder View Settings and Tabs but I get very disorientated and confused when folders start switching views :D

Would it be possible to:
- disable all Tab settings (Configuration> Colors and Styles> Styles> Remember list settings per tab -Uncheck),
- enable Folder View Settings
- and then somehow force FVS to automatically save every folder it visits which doesn't have any FVS settings stored?

I guess "Manage Folder Views" would increase to a massive size - but if that causes performance issues, maybe it could self-prune and only keep the last ~500 newest folders added?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This is the way Explorer does it, and it's one of the reasons why it is so slow. I'm not inclined to go into that direction... :)

Display

Post by Display »

I see! Would the performance decrease really be that noticeable? Surely manually switching folder views and column sets constantly is just as slow for the end user? :)
I think given the option, I'd take the convenience of FVS auto-saving over having to click sort orders and using multiple hotkeys to manually change thumbnails and column layouts.

I love the FVS feature but the main problem is that I always forget to set it until it's too late and the view has switched! So it's just easier to stay with the 'remember Tab styles' setting enabled.

Thinking about my own habits, I spend ~70% of the time in a simple Details view (Name/Size/Type/Modified).
This is my default view. Is it possible to make FVS auto-save only if View/Sort/Column/List change from my default view? Would that help cut down performance costs?
Or is the whole notion of automated FVS something that should be completely avoided?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think it should be avoided.

But bite that there is at least this autosave (will auto-update your saved FVSs on any changes):
Attachments
FVSautosave.png
FVSautosave.png (12.14 KiB) Viewed 1499 times